stocking suggestions for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The clown lab probably isn't a good idea I had two of them. They would fight with the yellow labs till my labs killed them. The yellow fin mbamba is a great looking fish have them too. They breed fast really fast and the males are pretty aggressive to the females. So if your going to have females I'd keep like 5 to 1 male. Look all there profiles up and double check the temperment at WWW.cichlidforum.com on the right column it will say profiles click on it and then it gives a spot to type in their common names. But it sounds good to me bit some of those I don't keep :)

Heres what I would choose out of the mix, if it were me, I'd get either P. Nyererei (Ruti Island) OR Crimson Tide ( also look up "thick skin" or haplochromis sp #44 you may like em!) Mbamba, Hongi, and Afra. But thats just me! If u step up ur filtration and ur up for extra wc's you could overstock :) what's ur filtration lookin like? You chose some good lookin fish :)

Last edited:
Yea..where i was readin didnt have much info on them n i should have been n bed instead of lookin at fish but i cant wait to get all my stuff setup..if its slow again today at work ill have plenty of time to finish my research..which so far it looks like thats what ill b doing.. i like the crimson but i prefer the other ..

Andrew McFadden said:
The clown lab probably isn't a good idea I had two of them. They would fight with the yellow labs till my labs killed them. The yellow fin mbamba is a great looking fish have them too. They breed fast really fast and the males are pretty aggressive to the females. So if your going to have females I'd keep like 5 to 1 male. Look all there profiles up and double check the temperment at WWW.cichlidforum.com on the right column it will say profiles click on it and then it gives a spot to type in their common names. But it sounds good to me bit some of those I don't keep :)

Thats just my luck...lol i thought they would b different some n stand out ..my hubby didnt like them though.. i liked the snow white socilofi but the site said not to mix it n a community...so i thought those looked similar n would work..

AndrewsPistol said:
Heres what I would choose out of the mix, if it were me, I'd get either P. Nyererei (Ruti Island) OR Crimson Tide ( also look up "thick skin" or haplochromis sp #44 you may like em!) Mbamba, Hongi, and Afra. But thats just me! If u step up ur filtration and ur up for extra wc's you could overstock :) what's ur filtration lookin like? You chose some good lookin fish :)

Thanks i tried...lol i really like the zebra patterns ..i noticed i was pickin mostly the same coloration n tried to change it some..as far as filteration goes i can buy a better filter n thought of addin a air stone or something like it ...but i have a top fin60 & aqua tech 30-60 filter now ..

kjacks said:
Thats just my luck...lol i thought they would b different some n stand out ..my hubby didnt like them though.. i liked the snow white socilofi but the site said not to mix it n a community...so i thought those looked similar n would work..

Witch one are you talking about? The clown

kjacks said:
Thanks i tried...lol i really like the zebra patterns ..i noticed i was pickin mostly the same coloration n tried to change it some..as far as filteration goes i can buy a better filter n thought of addin a air stone or something like it ...but i have a top fin60 & aqua tech 30-60 filter now ..

I'd look into getting a canister to go along with the hob that you already have. They can be pretty messy

kjacks said:

My Snow White is a BEAST! They can hang!!! When I bought mine my breeder told me they are tough and they are lol. I run 2 AquaClear 110s and I absolutely love them! So many media options and you can put your cc right in em in a media bag.

Last edited:
Yea thats why the website said it couldnt b mixed in a community tank bc it was highly aggressive...but they are soo pretty..but i luv the snow white..think it would stand out great..

kjacks said:
Yea thats why the website said it couldnt b mixed in a community tank bc it was highly aggressive...but they are soo pretty..but i luv the snow white..think it would stand out great..

Oh yea but so are the Nyererei & Crimson Tide so if your gonna get one of them you should stock all aggressive fish... Just curious... What did they say Nyererei was??? They definitely aren't Sally's lol. They are the toughest i own, I hope they are categorized as highly aggressive, otherwise they are grossly misleading people lol!!

AndrewsPistol said:
Oh yea but so are the Nyererei & Crimson Tide so if your gonna get one of them you should stock all aggressive fish... Just curious... What did they say Nyererei was??? They definitely aren't Sally's lol. They are the toughest i own, I hope they are categorized as highly aggressive, otherwise they are grossly misleading people lol!!

I don't know if I would want to stock those with the others on the list. They are both listed as aggressive where the others are mild aggressive. I think there is a big difference from being mild to aggressive. As in the mild and peaceful group normally aren't to bad together as some mild aggressive are really peacefully. The same goes for the aggressive and extremely aggressive group. Like Jess is saying she thinks they are more highly aggressive then aggressive and should only be stocked with aggressive witch is good advise. As I stated above I wouldn't mix mild and aggressive or its going to have issues imo. That's a big chance to be taking when your talking $20^^^ fish.

Well i looked lastnight at some more fish n i think i might wanna change out a few..i wanna change the mbamba yellow n i think the hongi for the lab. perlmutt mayb.. n i was curious if i can mix the afras together bc i want a few of them like the cobue, n jalo reef ..i see i didnt write the other name down.. oh n i mght change the ruti island to mwanza gulf nyererei instead...also on the stockin tip how many of each should i get..

Back
Top Bottom