stocking suggestions for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets see if I can remember them all haha...

4 Ruti
2 Kenyi
2 Lab
2 White Morph Zebras
1 Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Red Zebra
1 Psuedotropheous Elongatus Ornatus
1 Psuedotropheous Elongatus Chewere
1 Jalo Reef
1 Demasoni
1 intermedius Lethrinops
1 Dimidiochromis Compressiceps
1 Borleyi
1 Yellow Fin Borleyi
2 Female Ruby Reds
1 Snow White Socolofi
2 Julidichromis Marlieri
1 Brichardi
1 Acei
1 Sydontis Multipunctatus
1 Albino Sailfin
1 Albino Bristlenose

And then I have some I had to put in their own tanks, another Ruti and a male Ruby Red who is absolutely gorgeous! I'll try to dig up a pic :)
thats alot of fish to remember...lol so far all ur pics have had beautiful fish..told my hubby it made my decisions hard to pick which ones I wanted.. He said soo stop lookin...lol of course it makes it easier when i see i cant have them due to size or what not

kjacks said:
yea i missed it this morning but i see it now... i have the 55g for now might keep it so i have another reason to get a bigger tank later..lol

Lol that doesn't work for me lol I just buy it and when she's not home say sooo woop there it is :)

kjacks said:
thats alot of fish to remember...lol so far all ur pics have had beautiful fish..told my hubby it made my decisions hard to pick which ones I wanted.. He said soo stop lookin...lol of course it makes it easier when i see i cant have them due to size or what not

Haha I think I have you beat by 15 fish lol :)

I can't wait for all of mine to color up though like yours

Last edited:
I can't believe I remembered lol. Having that many fish in the minimum size tank required for Africans takes a ton of dedication. I change water every 3 days to keep trAtes in check. All are thriving well I just can't wait to get em in the 6ft. I'm lucky to have come across most of my rockwork for free that breaks up the line of sight and allows hiding spots. There are a lot of people who wouldn't agree of my stocking but I've always been kinda a rebel and it works for me and for them. Occasionally smaller fish have been hunted and picked off by my Compressiceps but that's to be expected when you add an ambush predator to the mix. I don't get over run with fry when I let my females spit in the main so that's another plus. I do have fish with specific dietary needs but I have been able to "train" them by target feeding. At dinner time my carnivores hang on the left side of the tank and my omnivores on the right. Everyone gets what they need. It surprises me how tame they are lol. With hard work and dedication I feel you can make mixes like mine work :) well I did somehow anyway haha!

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Lol that doesn't work for me lol I just buy it and when she's not home say sooo woop there it is :)

That dont work for me .. the hubby is already like think u got enough fish already..me: i have 4 fish n a small tank...lol but im already plannin to have another tank 75g or bigger for an aggressive bunch of cichlids...ill have to wait til we move though our lil single wide isnt big enough for all this..but in a couple yrs we r gettn a 5bedroom 3bathroom 2 living area home...ill have a tank n both living areas n our bedroom for sure then prolly have my betta tank n the kitchen ...oh jamies(hubby) gonna just luv it ... lol

AndrewsPistol said:
I can't believe I remembered lol. Having that many fish in the minimum size tank required for Africans takes a ton of dedication. I change water every 3 days to keep trAtes in check. All are thriving well I just can't wait to get em in the 6ft. I'm lucky to have come across most of my rockwork for free that breaks up the line of sight and allows hiding spots. There are a lot of people who wouldn't agree of my stocking but I've always been kinda a rebel and it works for me and for them. Occasionally smaller fish have been hunted and picked off by my Compressiceps but that's to be expected when you add an ambush predator to the mix. I don't get over run with fry when I let my females spit in the main so that's another plus. I do have fish with specific dietary needs but I have been able to "train" them by target feeding. At dinner time my carnivores hang on the left side of the tank and my omnivores on the right. Everyone gets what they need. It surprises me how tame they are lol. With hard work and dedication I feel you can make mixes like mine work :) well I did somehow anyway haha!

Yea sounds exhausting.. thats partially y im leanin towards not overstockin i just dont have the tims to clean that much i can do once a week for sure .. so i definately wanna have lots of filtration.. i got to lookin at those rock caves again ..what size should i get most of the fish get 3-4in dont think any get bigger then that ..oh actually if i get the yellow labs they get 5in dont they..anyway what size caves should i get small,med,large .. i thought a combination would b nice just dont wanna get to small .. n if i dd do an all male tank would my numbers change any since i want need the male female ratio...im thinkin i might get fsmales though since the fry wont b separated n are likely to b eaten..which actually sounds cruel now that i read it..

kjacks said:
Yea sounds exhausting.. thats partially y im leanin towards not overstockin i just dont have the tims to clean that much i can do once a week for sure .. so i definately wanna have lots of filtration.. i got to lookin at those rock caves again ..what size should i get most of the fish get 3-4in dont think any get bigger then that ..oh actually if i get the yellow labs they get 5in dont they..anyway what size caves should i get small,med,large .. i thought a combination would b nice just dont wanna get to small .. n if i dd do an all male tank would my numbers change any since i want need the male female ratio...im thinkin i might get fsmales though since the fry wont b separated n are likely to b eaten..which actually sounds cruel now that i read it..

I would aim for the medium and large more of the large then medium. The small ones are pretty small and if you don't want fry then I wouldn't get those. For the stocking numbers it wouldn't change at less you didn't want to do soo many. But imo the more the fish the better it looks ;)

Andrew McFadden said:
I would aim for the medium and large more of the large then medium. The small ones are pretty small and if you don't want fry then I wouldn't get those. For the stocking numbers it wouldn't change at less you didn't want to do soo many. But imo the more the fish the better it looks ;)

Im wantin to do jalo reefs, cobues,mwanza gulf or ruti island , mayb some labs...i like the labs but everyone has them so i kinda want something different but a more solid color fish .. oh n with the nyerereis im guessin if i dont have females i should only have 1 male right since they r aggressive conspecific... so i thought mayb i could do a few females for a male but idk ..

kjacks said:
Im wantin to do jalo reefs, cobues,mwanza gulf or ruti island , mayb some labs...i like the labs but everyone has them so i kinda want something different but a more solid color fish .. oh n with the nyerereis im guessin if i dont have females i should only have 1 male right since they r aggressive conspecific... so i thought mayb i could do a few females for a male but idk ..

The fish will interbreed so even if you have some females of one type that doesn't mean that's what fry you will end up with.

kjacks said:
Guess ill stick with all males then .. so doing all male how many should i get of each fish..

Stays the same so you can divide them how ever you want
18-22would be light
23-26 would be medium
26- would be over stocked

That's imo and if you stay under 5"

Is there anything alil smaller then the labs thats mostly solid n has the same temperment .. i looked but i havent found anything mayb i just wasnt lookin in the right place...

kjacks said:

IMHO I would get him females. They relax after they get laid lol. There is a hierarchy within females of their kind. My one female does not allow my male to breed with anyone else... Unless she is holding. It's not cruel... It's population control!!!

AndrewsPistol said:
IMHO I would get him females. They relax after they get laid lol. There is a hierarchy within females of their kind. My one female does not allow my male to breed with anyone else... Unless she is holding. It's not cruel... It's population control!!!

By him do u mean the nyererei are all of them..if u do mean only the nyererei would interbreedin become a problem with the other males chasin his females

kjacks said:
By him do u mean the nyererei are all of them..if u do mean only the nyererei would interbreedin become a problem with the other males chasin his females

Yea the Nyererei :) my females are as aggressive as him, she will chase the others away. My tank is mainly males and the only interbreeding I have had was between my cobalt blue and red zebra. I have 2 female labs 1 female Psuedotropheous Elongatus Ornatus, & 2 female Ruby Reds and no other interbreeding has occurred.

Yippie...lol i guess my lil guys gonna have plenty of relief..lol how many males do u have of ur nyerereis? I would like 2 males n mayb 3 females each unless it would cause way too much aggression which i figure it would

kjacks said:
Yippie...lol i guess my lil guys gonna have plenty of relief..lol how many males do u have of ur nyerereis? I would like 2 males n mayb 3 females each unless it would cause way too much aggression which i figure it would

I have 2 but had to pull one out... Your dominant one will stress the other bad and he will never color up and just be miserable :/

kjacks said:
Awww thats sad ..it said i need 6 of them n a group...thats like 5f n 1m... but the mwanza gulf females are a pretty yellow..

I have 3 for my one and that's plenty as he shoes no interest in any of them except my dominant female. He even chases the others away... Just my experience with em!

Back
Top Bottom