Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalikingsmoke

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im in the middle of getting ready to change the gravel and sand in my aquarium. Found out the hard way sand and gravel each on opposit sides isnt a good idea.... im not sure what to get though I know I want sand because my fish love it. What kind should I get? Really white... tan... or black? I heard black makes some cichilids color stand out amazingly but others slowly darken to blend in. Im lost.... any help would be great.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Imo white is a lot harder to keep clean if your ocd . Play sand looks more natural

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I could use playsand in my aquarium? Isnt it almost like beach sand when wet?

Yea you just got to wash it relly good if not itll cloud up pretty bad .

Yeah I just got some on Wednesday and washed it like 15 times and it literally only went cloudy for like 2 hours and the filter did the rest. Looks amazing and my sting ray and cichlids love it

I used K&E black sand blasting sand from TSC. It was like $11 for a 50 pounds bag. It was cloudy that evening, but when I woke up in the morning it was crystal clear. I absolutely love the black sand. Before that I used play sand. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395162068.740433.jpg

Dose dark sand make cichilids colors dull?

Dose dark sand make cichilids colors dull?

I would think it depends on cichlid species leleupi I know will darken where I've heard others colour up more as feel safer over the dark

Im at a tough point lol. I love the look of dark sand but at the same time I dont want the bright cichilids to darken I want them to stay vibrant

I have an electric yellow, bumblebee, ice blue, albino, and convicts and none of them look dull. The white sand can cause them to blend in as well. It's honestly all personal choice. I honestly do not think they will lose color. I love the black sand. All my cichlids are lighter coloured and they all look amazing against the black sand.

Okay so I was thinking of going with playsand its tan color its fine... and its only 2 bucks for 10 lb at kmart... how would I know if its bad or whatnot to put in.... also if I wanted black fine sand whats some cheap kind I could get at say home depot or lowes thats safe?

Some of the play sand you can get turns out super ugly. It has big rocks in it that I don't like. If I were you is straight it while it's dry to get rid of those and then wash it.

Again, a coal slag sand blasting sand works or silica. Try and stay away from copper slag. I've read it's okay but other places say it isn't. Do you have a TSC where you live? I couldn't find anything at home dept, but where you are might be different.

Omg I just made the biggest newbue mistake ever I wasnt even thunking.... I started changing the substrate fish in.... added the playsand after washing in now the tank is so cloudy I cant seem my fish.... I freaked out so I started running my canister filter idk what to do

Im on the border line of freaking out.

Itll be cloudy for awhile but it will settle down in a few days.

Should I leave the filter on? Will it kill the fish?

Back
Top Bottom