Suggested supplements for Malwai cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was told by someone to simply add bicarb to increase ph and epson salt to provide magnesium. The local fish store is telling me I need to trace elements in there and salt mix. What are your suggestions?

Malawis can thrive in a wide range of water conditions, often vastly different from the Lake. It is up to you if you want to play water chemist. Unless your water is unusually soft and acidy, it is unlikely that you need to do anything.

Joe, when I started the 55g African cichlid tank I used epson salt & baking soda to raise KH & GH. I did this for 3month & after reading & others just using their tap water & nothing else I wasnt going to do it anymore. When I moved all 21 to the bigger aquarium I properly acclimating them. So, far they are great. Look at your pH BillD said....other then that you should be fine.

Usually it's best not to add chemicals to alter the ph level, a stable ph level is what your shooting for. I wouldn't mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom