Suggested tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tippytrampoline

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello there! I'm interested in some feedback on possible additions to my 29g aquarium. It currently houses one 2"+ koi angel, a German blue ram (sex unknown, it's companion died several months ago) and a rather large (in my opinion) Sailfin Pleco, which I am considering to re-home to someone with more space for, a crayfish, and about two dozen ghost shrimp (for food and cleaning).

My question is this: what other fun little fellows would you suggest to give the aquarium a bit more color and movement?

I'm not really dead-set on additions, as the fish I have are still very entertaining to watch, but in case I do make a final decision I'd like to have some idea where to start, and which direction to go. I was considering cherry barbs, as I've had them before and they were incredibly entertaining, but fear that as the angel gets older it might decide they're worth snacking on.

Thanks in advance!

P.s. I've added some photos to give you a rough idea of the space I'm using! (And of course the pretty babies!)

Attachments

• image-2099551587.jpg
    image-2099551587.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2202446432.jpg
    image-2202446432.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image-766462405.jpg
    image-766462405.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1897264671.jpg
    image-1897264671.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 107
Five minutes ago I was wondering if I could put a ram with an angel. Then I read your post.

I do think your sailfin would be better off if you re-home it to a bigger tank like you suggested. I wouldn't put a cray with angels. Those fins are irresistible for pinching.
Cherry barbs should be fine. They reach a decent enough adult size that the angels will likely leave them alone. I currently have cherry barbs in with my adult angels and it is not an issue.

Wouldnt cherry barbs be nippy towards the angels? I was thinking more like rummynose tetras or prehaps kerri tetras to add some nice blue.
But i agree on the sailfin pleco, its an absolutly stunning fish! Also the cray is risky too with the angels long fins

get that cray out before something gets eaten. most arent wery fish friendly

I also hear that crayfish aren't very good with fish, especially at night when they go hunting. I would think that the cherry barbs, if they are like other barbs, are fin nippers which aren't good with the angel.
If I were to suggest something it would probably be an apistogramma cacatoides which are very cool. I also think dwarf guarami are pretty good.
That sailfin pleco does look very large, you could probably replace it with five or six cory catfish.

I never had cherry barbs nip at my angels. Currently I keep 13 adult angels with rummy nose and cardinal tetras, threadfin rainbowfish, and some longfin white clouds. All little fish and the angels have never bothered them, even when breeding. What I would suggest, even tho the angel is little is to temp remove the angel from the tank, add any additions if they are small, they re-add the angel. If you can't remove the angel I've also found when the new fish have acclimated feed the angel seconds before you release the new fish. Great way to distract angels so they don't focus on the new additions. And as stated above I'd rehome the sailfin and nix the crayfish.

I've tried angels and barbs twice and both times ended with the barbs fin nipping , I've givin up on barbs they are evil little fish

Thank you everyone for your swift and educational responses!!! I've decided I'm going to find a new home for the crayfish, and hopefully through the aquarium association I can find a wonderful place for the Pleco where it can have all the room it needs to grow to its full potential! I'm going to probably stick with cherry barbs, as I believe they're the least aggressive. Also, they're simply adorable! :) thank you so much for all of your help!

IME, cherry barbs are not nippy like some other barbs are. Tiger barbs give the barbs a bad rap, but cherry, gold, snakeskin, and many others are not nippy like tb. I have never seen my cherries take a nip at any fish in the tank, and especially not the angels.

Thank you everyone for your swift and educational responses!!! I've decided I'm going to find a new home for the crayfish, and hopefully through the aquarium association I can find a wonderful place for the Pleco where it can have all the room it needs to grow to its full potential! I'm going to probably stick with cherry barbs, as I believe they're the least aggressive. Also, they're simply adorable! :) thank you so much for all of your help!
good choice,i <3 cherry barbs

Alright everyone who offered their suggestions, I have since removed the crayfish and found a new home for my pleco! I've added a yoyo loach and plan to get another to keep its aggression in check, an I've found a local reef store that carries German rams and all types of barbs and tetras! I'm excited to stock some more fish and get a bit more movement. My GBR has paled since he no longer has a companion to show off to, so I'm looking forward to seeing him posture and strut around again for a little lady :)

Tippytrampoline said:
Alright everyone who offered their suggestions, I have since removed the crayfish and found a new home for my pleco! I've added a yoyo loach and plan to get another to keep its aggression in check, an I've found a local reef store that carries German rams and all types of barbs and tetras! I'm excited to stock some more fish and get a bit more movement. My GBR has paled since he no longer has a companion to show off to, so I'm looking forward to seeing him posture and strut around again for a little lady :)

The ram in the photo at the beginning of this post is a female...if you are trying to make a pair you need a male...just thought I'd throw in my two cents. ;-)

Botanica said:
The ram in the photo at the beginning of this post is a female...if you are trying to make a pair you need a male...just thought I'd throw in my two cents. ;-)

You know, I thought that for a while, and the fish seems to go back and forth, and one side seems more male from the other side, but when I had another ram in the tank with it, it was more obvious. I'm mostly convinced, after a TON of research from online and talking with individuals on the aquarium club around here, it's most likely male, judging by the shape of its head and fins, because usually the coloring can be rather tricky to judge alone. The best way to tell is to drop in a few, wait a few days, then judge by that. I've got a few electric rams on order, and I may just trade this one in at the lfs. Until I find it a new friend, it might be too hard to tell

I was able to keep 11 African cichlids alive most of them were medium sized I had a ok aggression balance. I thought I'd add some slightly bigger fish so I'd have no problems kind of a balance and be able to add more fish. But the medium sized fish I had beat up one of my new bigger fish and killed him. Any pointers on how to transition fish into a new tank.

1Rancid.dog said:
I was able to keep 11 African cichlids alive most of them were medium sized I had a ok aggression balance. I thought I'd add some slightly bigger fish so I'd have no problems kind of a balance and be able to add more fish. But the medium sized fish I had beat up one of my new bigger fish and killed him. Any pointers on how to transition fish into a new tank.

I would suggest starting a new thread for this so more experienced users can find you easier and give you their input. As for my opinion, what were the species of fish you most recently added? We're they also African cichlids?

Also, what size tank is it, what type of decorations do you have, and what are the species of cichlids you have in it now?

If your wanting cichlid info you should post in the Cichlids forum. You'll get much more imput there.

Back
Top Bottom