Suggestion on jewel cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys had a question on these guys, can they live in a jewel only tank like 5-10 in a 100 gal, or are they like convicts? Was wanting to put 10-15 in a 100 gal? Would it work? Thanks guys!

Their conspecific aggression is really high but given enough breaks in the line of sight I don't see why you couldn't do 3-4 pairs with a large school of African tetras of some kind.

What's the footprint of the 100 gallon?

It is a 4 1/2 feet long I plan on adding fake plants rocks and drift wood. Any tetra group u would recommend? Thanks for quick reply though

Hmm that's an odd size, in any case with a tank under 6' 2-3 pairs would be more feasible. Just plant the tank heavily and add lots of rocks/drift wood.

As far as the tetras go something bigger and bullet proof. I just got some Blue Diamond Tetra and they are holding up well. Congo tetra are also an idea. I'll look up some more.

Thanks for info yea that was my reaction but hey 2-3 pairs isn't to bad just plant and decor heavy and keep a close eye on the tetras how large could the school be? Thanks!

10-15 should do it I'd imagine, I have 9 in a 40B and they fill up the top well.

Another suggestion is Arnoldichthys spilopterus aka African Red-eyed Tetra or any of the other Alestiid tetras should fit the bill.

Keep in mind though that certain African tetras may only be available at certain times a year because they are almost always wild caught.

Alright got ya I'll just browse around might ask to special order if possible at my lfs but thanks for help will post pics of end results

You can also contact Anthony Perry who is in charge of the online sales department of The Wetspot in Portland Oregon. He'll have a better idea if what you want is available or can suggest other species.

If however you're not 100% set on jewels, wetspot has an amazing selection of mainly wild caught west African cichlids. Especially their Pelvicachromis selection, they have the Humilis that would thrive in a large tank like yours.

Oh and for plants I'd suggest
• Anubias barteri
• Crinum calamistratum
• Bolbitis heudelotii
• Vallisneria gigantean

I haven't personally kept jewels but when I was reading up on them I found this little blurb.

" Found in a wide variety of habitats (from river shallows to steams, oxbow lakes, swamps, and even costal lagoons), H. guttatus is closely associated with aquatic vegetation and is a forest-dwelling species. "

If you plant the tank while it it cycling and give the plants a month or so to establish then the Jewels shouldn't bother them. Just make sure anything that isn't attached to rocks has rocks around the base to discourage digging.

Alright thanks that makes me look forward to it even more. Thanks for all the info it's a huge help look toward to this tank

Back
Top Bottom