Summer Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as you can see by the title of my post I'm planning on starting an all Dwarf Cichlid tank with some shell dwellers. First off the tank we will most likely be getting is either a 40 or a 55 depending on how much I have saved by August. Secondly I know so far from research the shell dwellers will like to have various shells of various sizes and they prefer sand to dig their trenches in for their spawn during mating season and other dwarf cichlids will also dig so I'm already buying plenty of sand to make a 5 cm deep substrate layer. Next comes the plants, I will probably do some java fern, java moss, and lots of amazon sword with plenty of rocks for caves (limestone and black lava rock). Fourth comes the fish, I've read generally dwarf cichlids are very peaceful and finicky at times and can be very shy when brought home from the LFS and I've seen Shell Dwellers are peaceful on many sites as long as the others don't come near their nests during mating time. Here are some Dwarfs I'm looking at:

German Gold Ram
German Blue Ram
Electric Lab
Triple Full Red Cockatoo
Orange Cockatoo
Firemouth Cichlid

Yes I know the 2 rams probably don't mix but it's just a list until i see what the LFS around here has at the time. Also I'm weighing some other options to go with these that the cichlids won't pick on like maybe a few Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish and a red tail black shark. Or maybe no red tail black shark and just a zig zag yellow tail eel. What are your thoughts or inputs to help this project go well?

None of those fish listed should be mixed with shell dwellers, they really are best suited for species only tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

None of those fish listed should be mixed with shell dwellers, they really are best suited for species only tanks.

Which do you think would make the new tank pop out more against a beige sand with black gravel? Can you give me some advice i really want to do well in this hobby.

For aquascaping, just go with what you think looks best (while still providing a suitable habitat).

I suggest you first do a little more research on the fish you like/ are available at your LFS . Then come back with more refined questions instead large broad spectrum questions.

For aquascaping, just go with what you think looks best (while still providing a suitable habitat).

What would you say would be some cichlids you'd stock in your tank? Because I'm set on the German Blue, Electric Lab, Firemouth, and Triple Full Red Cockatoo but I know it's gonna be pretty empty still.

What would you say would be some cichlids you'd stock in your tank? Because I'm set on the German Blue, Electric Lab, Firemouth, and Triple Full Red Cockatoo but I know it's gonna be pretty empty still.

Like mogurako said almost none of these are compatible with each other or the Shellies. Please do some research on these fish as it appears you've done very little.

Those can not all go in the same tank, and Thorichthys Meeki "Fire Mouth" are no where close to a dwarf cichlid.

Like mogurako said almost none of these are compatible with each other or the Shellies. Please do some research on these fish as it appears you've done very little.

Penguin is just trying to get advice, and I think people should try to help instead of criticizing. Everyone is new at some time.

I know I'm still doing plenty of research and came for advice because I really wanna carry on my uncles legacy of Cichlid tanks and i just wanted some advice so i could be successful and make him proud I really have no intention of just throwing together any old fish for fun.

Penguin is just trying to get advice, and I think people should try to help instead of criticizing. Everyone is new at some time.

Telling someone to do more research instead of asking someone else to do it all for them is hardly criticizing. Yes we were all new and we did research then asked questions instead of expecting it all to be laid out for us.

We're willing to help, but the OP has to do the leg work and build the foundation. Then we can come along and fill in the gaps.

Telling someone to do more research instead of asking someone else to do it all for them is hardly criticizing. Yes we were all new and we did research then asked questions instead of expecting it all go be laid out for us.

We're willing to help, but the OP has to do the leg work and build the foundation. Then we can come along and fill in the gaps.

I'm sorry. It's just that I was criticized when I was new here and it made me feel really stupid. I didn't mean to sound rude.

Telling someone to do more research instead of asking someone else to do it all for them is hardly criticizing. Yes we were all new and we did research then asked questions instead of expecting it all to be laid out for us.

Yes I'm still doing research I'm just getting advice to see what would be matches and can do well in a 55 this summer

I'm sorry. It's just that I was criticized when I was new here and it made me feel really stupid. I didn't mean to sound rude.

It's okay don't be sorry I know I should be doing more research it's just so overwhelming with the many different opinions on tank sizes, care level, aggression, compatibility, etc. I came here to this site because a friend of mine recommended it to me and I wanted to see the different opinions on this stuff so i could compare the info before i start this project.

I agree with everything Mog has said. There's a difference between bing blunt and honest, and criticizing.

Shellies typically are quite aggressive. Go on YouTube and watch "jewels of the rift" and they showcase a few species. My multies are like the chihuahuas of the cichlid world. Big attitude in a tiny body

I agree with everything Mog has said. There's a difference between bing blunt and honest, and criticizing.

Shellies typically are quite aggressive. Go on YouTube and watch "jewels of the rift" and they showcase a few species. My multies are like the chihuahuas of the cichlid world. Big attitude in a tiny body

Wow the links to other forums are wrong then maybe i wont do shellies

I have to agree with the majority that there's a difference between coming and looking for fine tuning and flat out wanting somebody to hold your hand and do it all for you. When I started with fish 30+ years ago, there were things called LFS that you went into, introduced yourself and asked questions. If they couldn't answer the questions at all, or to your liking, the next place you went was a library. I still frequent them today.

As far as some feeling criticized, I've seen a lot of constructive criticism. Especially when newbies are repetitively insistent on trying to recreate the wheel. Or offering improper advice they haven't researched to begin with.

Point being, with the advent of such technology that runs rampant these days, there's very little reason to not do some of the homework yourself.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom