Surprise! New Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm sure most of you know that I keep a 55 gallon SA community at work for the clients I work with. Well, a couple of weeks ago, a coworker mentioned to me that someone in a different department had a 55 gallon that she had to take down because she was moving. My coworker asked if I would be interested in this person's fish, which were a couple of angels from what I understood. I said that I would take them, since most of my other angels had gone on to the big tank in the sky. :( I didn't hear from the person who took down her tank, so I kinda forgot about it.

So yesterday morning I went to work and looked in the tank, and there were 2 huge angels!!! 8O I looked closer and saw 2 neons (I can't believe they survived) and 2 glowlights, and some kind of catfish that I don't recognize! I was excited to see them in there, but at the same time I found it really irritating that no one felt the need to inform me before dumping fish into a tank that I am solely responsible for maintaining!!! :evil: And to top it off, I won't even be in for the rest of the week because I had surgery today! I am really surprised the new angels didn't kill the little one that was already in there. If these guys aren't full grown, they are close, and the little one's body is not much bigger than a quarter. I watched them for a while yesterday and didn't see any signs of aggression... should I worry anyway, or would the big ones have killed the little one by now?

Well, thanks for reading my rant. :roll: I'll try to get some pics soon, and I may need help ID'ing the catfish... all I know is that it doesn't seem to be a pleco, and I couldn't find a pic that looked like it on planet catfish. I hope it gets along with the bristlenose.

I think you'll be ok. I've done this and actually found that the smaller angel was the aggressor since he had been in the tank longer. I can't wait for the pics. Especially of the cat.

Don't fret Severum...I'm sure the person who did this really thought they were doing a good thing. :roll: Clearly try to locate this person, thank them for their help and then make it known that nothing should or can be done without your approval.

Yeah...I hope everything goes well with the tank while you're home and you can get some pics.

Congrats on your new fish 8) I cant we to see pics of the fish especially the cat, I wounder what it is ?

woo hoo...new fishies...
i'd suggest watching them for a little longer, which might be hard given that you'll be away (set up a surveillance camera ? :mrgreen: ). but what i'm worried about is the new angels turning out to be a pair. and after acclimating to the new surroundings beating the heck out of the little fella.
but this is just a guess. it might well be they found their long lost bro... :wink:

I think you'll be ok. I've done this and actually found that the smaller angel was the aggressor
You know, that is really NOT what I expected to hear! :lol: It would be funny to see my tiny angel trying to boss the other 2 around, as they are about 15 times his size. It's the one I posted about a while back, the lone survivor that doesn't seem to be growing. :? The 3 angels were actually kinda hanging out together, it was cool. One of the new ones looks like a marble (yellow, black, and white splotchy), and the other has some vertical black stripes and bright red eyes- I just love the red eyes on angels. :D I don't know anything about angel varieties but I'm sure you all can tell me what they are when I get the pics. The catfish is beautiful too, I just hope it's not one that will outgrow the tank. I HATE getting rid of fish!

I guess the thing that bothered me the most about it was that I don't know how this person maintains her tank, so there is the perceived threat of disease. Also, that is a lot of bioload to add at once and I would have preferred to do a PWC while adding the newbies. I did one yesterday morning though, and my coworker will do another on Thursday, so I'm sure they will be fine. :D

Congrats on the fish. I have added small ones into a tank with an existing large one and that worked out ok, all are still alive, healthy and happy. Eating like little pigs. I think you will be fine.

Rich

Your yellow black and white angel could be a koi or, it could be a yellow/orange cap marble (I've seen other names for this variety. One of them being - sunset marble). The other sounds like a silver. Pics, pics, pics! lol I know you can't get them yet. But, I'm anxious. lol :D

Congrats Severum Mama!!!!!!! That's so exciting!!!! I know what you mean about other peope doing things with your tank without your approval, but i'm sure they where thinking you would LOVE the present!

Get well soon and get going with those pix!!!!!! :p

Well, I won't be back at work until next Monday, but I will definitely get pics when I go back. I am especially wanting a pic of the catfish so I (I mean, you guys) can ID it. At first I was thinking it was some kind of synodontis because it has those whisker looking things on its face, but I looked at pics of synos on planet catfish and none of them looked the same. It is a really pretty fish, it's black with kinda white spots. At first when it was hiding and just its tail was sticking out, I thought it was a pleco, but then I saw its "whiskers". :D

Bingo! And I didn't even have to post a pic! :lol:

They seem to get pretty big, but I am looking forward to keeping him. They are very cool looking fish. I can't wait to show you guys the pics, and the angel pics too! :D

Back
Top Bottom