Syno and stock advice request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I'm running a 36G (US) malawi tank.
Stock: 6x Ps. Saulosi, 1x LDA08 plec, 2x Syno Petricola, 1x Syno Multipunctatus.

The multipunctatus has a story behind it which brings me here to ask for advice!
The original plan was to order in 2 petricola. My LFS said 'no problem'. They only got one syno in the end, and when I got him home he turned out to be a multipunctatus not a petricola. The LFS manager didn't give us a chance to take a proper look in the shop (and we're talking about one fin here which makes all the difference!). She also charged me twice the price she originally said they'd cost :O
I decided to order in the 2 petricola elsewhere anyway, and they're doing just fine. I now realise just how sociable this fish is, however, and know they'd be happier with friends. I am at the same time concerned about my multipunctatus and the spawning behaviour of this fish: my ps. saulosi as mouthbrooders may be at risk AFAIK (although would I need a pair of multipunctatus to get them to spawn and therefore cause problems?).

I'd ideally like to get another 2 petricola in for a group of 4 which would make the stock:
6x Ps. Saulosi, 4x Syno Petricola, 1x LDA08 plec, 1x Syno Multipunctatus.

Then the option of finding a new home for the multipunctatus would be on the cards. Even if I didn't find him a new home would this stock arrangement work in a 36G?
Filtration isn't an issue (runs on an external Tetratec EX700), but what about space etc.? All of the synos so far go about their business ignoring the saulosi, and visa versa (although the dominant male seems quite perplexed at this school of bizarre looking things scurrying about near him lol).

From my own experience with a few Snyo species, I would upgrade to a larger tank (around 55g) before attempting to add more petras. Suitable filtration aside, I don't think your current tank would offer enough "roaming" room for a larger group. But that's just my two cents.

With luck, you may be able to find someone willing to take the multi in trade toward a couple more petricola. The multi won't be happy alone, they're as social as the petricola, and the 2 species won't school together. In any case, the multi should go to someone with a group of them, and the more petricola you have, the more active/visible they are.

Back
Top Bottom