Syno cats & discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering that Syno cats come from the rift lakes, like hard water and discus like soft water I would say yes. Get a nice little school of 6-10 Cory cats instead.

So what is the best way to get it down. Also, I already have fish in my tank. Will adjusting ph hurt them. Finally, how will I keep it stable if I am doing frequent water changes?

You should plan an entire new tank revolving around the discus. They're very demanding if you want beautiful discus.

I kind of have been planning one. I have rummy noses, hatchets, & a ram. I like the idea of filtering peat.

I thought they were maybe too aggressive. I have been told that if the discus are tank bred then ph doesn't matter and that a stable ph is more important than any certain #.

image-1399889548.jpg

Got a wal mart. Some kind of hybrid I think. Best I could find out 6-8" max. What do you think?

image-4125544353.jpg

Probably had it about 2-3 years and seems like 7 or so inches but I saw a big one similar @ lfs & it was huge!

image-2953052474.jpg

This one was @ aquatic critter. I would say about a foot.

Beside the fact that I killed the last six I had, I already have the syno. I only have 1 tank big enough for the syno and that is where I want to keep the discus. Sorry for not being clear and thanks for input.

For a discus tank I think corys would be your best bet. If your planning on keeping the discus alive then everything has to revolve around them. Water parameters, tank mates, decor. They are perhaps one of the most fragile fish in the hobby and cost a fortune to replace. I would recommend taking no short cuts with anything.

Discus like soft acidic water. Syno cats are adaptable but still most of the common species are African. Cory cats are also going to be more active especially in a large group and it will add more to the tank.

For a discus tank I think corys would be your best bet. If your planning on keeping the discus alive then everything has to revolve around them. Water parameters, tank mates, decor. They are perhaps one of the most fragile fish in the hobby and cost a fortune to replace. I would recommend taking no short cuts with anything.

Discus like soft acidic water. Syno cats are adaptable but still most of the common species are African. Cory cats are also going to be more active especially in a large group and it will add more to the tank.

I've heard nothing short of discus fish being PINA. I'd say this is very good advice. I have mbunas, so corys are a hit or miss for me, but in your case, corys are a great choice for a cleanup crew.

That was why I got the cories, but I got the syno cat before I knew anything about discus. My cories got some crazy fin rot that eventually killed them. It started w/ their barbells, and eventually ate their faces! Kind of traumatic. Not sure I want to go through that again, but I do like them.

Back
Top Bottom