T.Moorii...No place to go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeynuna

Aquarium Advice Regular
Relocated to St. Louis with job. From NYC and soon
Has anyone been successful in housing a single T.Moorii with some "mildly aggressive" Mbuna?

I have a 150 gal Mbuna tank that’s stocked with 12 Yellow Lab, 12 P. Acei and a Bristlenose Plec. They all play nice.

A friend purchased a single T.Moorii from a LFS and didn't realize what he was buying. The LFS will take it back without crediting the original customer. Long story short I have the fish in my tank now but I'm not sure about keeping it. He is a juvenile and so far so good.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had success in this?

Please don't post about the specifics of the species...I know T.Moorii are from a different lake and should be housed in large groups and are typically aggressive toward their own kind. I'm really searching for a success story so I can keep him in the tank. I like the fish and would rather not donate him to the store even though he was donated to me.

Thanks

I had 2 T.moorii in with my mbuna for a while and unfortunately I had to return them to the shop as they were far too aggressive.They are like pit bulls when they get a bee in their bonnet and I would only try them as a lone species in the future.Just my opinion though.
They even tore into my male auratus.

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking too. I like watching this fish but the inner fish keeper in me is saying "bring him back."

I watched a few videos on Youtube that displayed Labs and T.Moorii in the same tank. But no one ever says how it turned out.

In 2007 some one in my area had just acquired an aquarium set up that came with fish included (african cichlids). She was only interested in tropical community fish and was giving the african cichlids away for free so she could start stocking her tank.

I was only interested in the trio of demasoni's however decided to take the tropheus duboisi (which was with the demasoni's) off her hands.

The demasoni's went into my 75gal demasoni tank, the tropheus was added to my 125gal mbuna tank. Since 2007 I've had zero issues with the single tropheus living with a bunch of mbuna's.

In 2009 I added a colony orange flame bemba tropheus to this set up and there has been negligible tropheus x mbuna interaction. The duboisi and the largest bemba square off every now and then but that's about it.

The demasoni's went into my 75gal demasoni tank, the tropheus was added to my 125gal mbuna tank. Since 2007 I've had zero issues with the single tropheus living with a bunch of mbuna's.

That's what i wanted to read. I'm sure if a search long enough I'll find answers on both sides. But I'm starting to get feedback from other people saying they've been successful in keeping them. This fish has been in the tank for about 4 weeks, no issues.

Back
Top Bottom