Tanganyika tank maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebbi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im thinking about starting a tanganyikan tank, im hopeing to put a few dif tropheus breeds, some fairy/princess cichlids and a few cuckoo catfish, any certain tropheus species? Or other fish kinds i could put with them? Nothing over 7" though. Thanks

Not sure yet, iv been looking at a 450L and a 500L but im not sure if either of them will be big enough though.

That should be big enough, Idk anything about the fish you want (I only have tanganyikan shell Dwellers) but that should have plenty of room for tanganyikans

And also idk the water conditions for tanganiykans, ive herd that diff fish from diff parts of the river need diff ph and food requirements, is that true?

And also idk the water conditions for tanganiykans, ive herd that diff fish from diff parts of the river need diff ph and food requirements, is that true?

Tropheus are prone to Bloat when fed on a high protein or poor quality food, make sure you stick with high quality pellets like NLS. Water conditions like PH and hardness are not that important, these are tank bred fish not wild caught. Keep your water clean and feed quality food and you'll be off to a great start.

Whats nls? I live on tiny island at the bottom of australia, i may not be able to get it. I have a little orange flame tropheus in my comunity tank, i feed them a mix of spirluna flakes and pellets plus frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, and my tropheus seems happy and healthy in there.

Last edited:
New Life Spectrum. The flakes and pellets are good as long as they're quality but I'd stay away from frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Trophs are herbivores and should not be fed foods high in protein, they are algae grazers with long intestines to remove nutrients from their food, when irritated by poor quality or high protein foods the irritation turns into Bloat.

Malawi Bloat

Back
Top Bottom