tank additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmiller88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I add any types of schools of tetras to my tank? If not is there any fish I can add?

My tank is 55 gal cichlid tank. 3 yellow labs 1 tropheas moorii 2 giraffe cichlids 2 BN plecos 1 synodontis petricola 1 flowerhorn 3 yo-yo loaches 1 clown knifefish 2 sunburst peacocks 1 hap moorii val

Can I add any types of schools of tetras to my tank? If not is there any fish I can add?

My tank is 55 gal cichlid tank. 3 yellow labs 1 tropheas moorii 2 giraffe cichlids 2 BN plecos 1 synodontis petricola 1 flowerhorn 3 yo-yo loaches 1 clown knifefish 2 sunburst peacocks 1 hap moorii val

Wow that's a serious mismatch of fish especially for a 55
Ok let's start at the too

Your yellow Labs,Sunburst peacocks,Tropheus moori and Petricola will be fine in there though I would up the numbers of Petricola to 3 or 4 as they prefer to be in groups.
The two species of Hap you have in there I.e the Venustus and Moori get way to big for a 55 they will both get huge 10" or so and require a six foot tank IMO.
The Yoyo loaches really should be kept in groups of 5 or more and can hit 5" each and although they can acclimate to the higher PH labs and peacocks thrive they are from slow running bodies of water in India and Pakistan.I would rule them out for this reason
The BN Plecos would be fine but I do either them or the Petricola.
The Clown knifefish has no business in with bousterous Cichlids from lake Malawi and those flowing fins are likely to become to tempting for the other fish.
Lastly a Flowerhorn in a 55 with Mbuna and peacocks???? Really???? I only see that ending up one way and that's with the Flowerhorn killing all other fish as it will surely become hyper aggressive when it matures they are renowned for it besides being a man made fabrication that has no business in the hobby IMO.
Do a little research please on all the fish you have chosen as they are very incompatible.

Wow that's a serious mismatch of fish especially for a 55
Ok let's start at the too

Your yellow Labs,Sunburst peacocks,Tropheus moori and Petricola will be fine in there though I would up the numbers of Petricola to 3 or 4 as they prefer to be in groups.
The two species of Hap you have in there I.e the Venustus and Moori get way to big for a 55 they will both get huge 10" or so and require a six foot tank IMO.
The Yoyo loaches really should be kept in groups of 5 or more and can hit 5" each and although they can acclimate to the higher PH labs and peacocks thrive they are from slow running bodies of water in India and Pakistan.I would rule them out for this reason
The BN Plecos would be fine but I do either them or the Petricola.
The Clown knifefish has no business in with bousterous Cichlids from lake Malawi and those flowing fins are likely to become to tempting for the other fish.
Lastly a Flowerhorn in a 55 with Mbuna and peacocks???? Really???? I only see that ending up one way and that's with the Flowerhorn killing all other fish as it will surely become hyper aggressive when it matures they are renowned for it besides being a man made fabrication that has no business in the hobby IMO.
Do a little research please on all the fish you have chosen as they are very incompatible.

Lol, what makes you think EVERY flowerhorn is man made?! I understand your enthusiasm, but- hey, flowerhorns are here and they need some loving too!!;)

We all made mistakes and stupid moves, I've certainly impulse bought my way around the biotope creating world...

You can keep your cichlids together, just be careful, yes the clown knife should go to an aquarist who is a little more knowledgeable of African knifefish- or please do some research and be ready to upgrade and grow with him, pretty please? Lol.

Welcome to the underwater jungle!!!

Lol, what makes you think EVERY flowerhorn is man made?! I understand your enthusiasm, but- hey, flowerhorns are here and they need some loving too!!;)

We all made mistakes and stupid moves, I've certainly impulse bought my way around the biotope creating world...

You can keep your cichlids together, just be careful, yes the clown knife should go to an aquarist who is a little more knowledgeable of African knifefish- or please do some research and be ready to upgrade and grow with him, pretty please? Lol.

Welcome to the underwater jungle!!!

Because every flowerhorn IS manmade

In a 55 that mix of fish will not work we've seen it over and over and I offered my advice.If its taken or not is up to the OP and Oscar thanks buddy :)

In a 55 that mix of fish will not work we've seen it over and over and I offered my advice.If its taken or not is up to the OP and Oscar thanks buddy :)

Yep. But i agree %100 that mix of fish would only work in something closer to a 180 but the flowerhorn will most likely snap and kill everything anyway.

Because every flowerhorn IS manmade
I didn't realize the 'flowerhorn' species being referred to... A common misnomer in this area is a variety of eartheater/ firemouth....

Yep. But i agree %100 that mix of fish would only work in something closer to a 180 but the flowerhorn will most likely snap and kill everything anyway.

I will admit to having just above no knowledge of Africans :) haven't gotten there yet, lol

I didn't realize the 'flowerhorn' species being referred to... A common misnomer in this area is a variety of eartheater/ firemouth....

I will admit to having just above no knowledge of Africans :) haven't gotten there yet, lol

I know nothing about africans either lol.

I haven't added any fish in a few months they have all been in there for 5-6 months except the flower horn and sunburst has been 2 months. I realize the flowerhorn is a SA but all my fish are very young and so is it and the flowerhorn doesn't even chase anyone. The biggest fish is the clown at 5 and the next biggest is the yo yo loaches at like 3 inches. I have had no signs of real aggression yet. Just the giraffe being the dominant fish in the tank

I haven't added any fish in a few months they have all been in there for 5-6 months except the flower horn and sunburst has been 2 months. I realize the flowerhorn is a SA but all my fish are very young and so is it and the flowerhorn doesn't even chase anyone. The biggest fish is the clown at 5 and the next biggest is the yo yo loaches at like 3 inches. I have had no signs of real aggression yet. Just the giraffe being the dominant fish in the tank

Well there will be problems. Thats what we are trying to tell you.

Well ok if I return thw flower horn and clown once theyre starting to get big is that the only problems? Because im fine with the other fish getting bigger because theyve grown up together and they will be fine

Can they even breed?? Isnt a firemouth CA and geo SA

Forgot that sarcasm can't always be taken from text. No, they as far as I know cannot breed with each other.

Maybe we can get a Firemouth, geophagus and a sailfin Molly to do a three way and the offspring can be named after the 70's music group. We can call it the Earth, Wind and Fire cichlid!!! Lol

Forgot that sarcasm can't always be taken from text. No, they as far as I know cannot breed with each other.

Maybe we can get a Firemouth, geophagus and a sailfin Molly to do a three way and the offspring can be named after the 70's music group. We can call it the Earth, Wind and Fire cichlid!!! Lol

My sisters loved earth wind and fire. I'm more of a Black Sabbath fan myself.

Never heard of a flowerhorn being a cross between an earth eater and Firemouth.
No, not a cross between, it's usually either one or the other, the only thing that really is similar about them is the dark grey with a longer ca cichlid face and a red belly.
Can they even breed?? Isnt a firemouth CA and geo SA
:) really? ;-)

My sisters loved earth wind and fire. I'm more of a Black Sabbath fan myself.
Rotfflmfao. Aaaahhh, miscommunication is my middle name!! Funny where this wound up!!

Welcome, you will have to rehome your 3 haps too. I know they're small now, but once they hit maturity they are going to have territorial aggression issues. You will lose some fish due to fighting or stress. My suggestion is to rehome your haps flowerhorn and clown knife. And either your synodontish or loaches. Then, maybe you have some room to pick up a few mbuna or a peacock. I have only been in this hobby a few months with a 125g a 75g, 55g, and 30g.. =) another option is to buy a large tank on CL. A lot of times that is not an option and rehoming is the best thing you could do for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom