Tank length suitable for cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is my tank suitable for cichlids its 36inches wide its about 18.4 inches in high and 12 inches from back to front is that depth ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dwarfs or shellies really..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But i calculated its 55g

It's the length, 48" is really the minimum, they need different territories. .
Edit. Think that tank is more like a 38, my 30 is 36x12x16 tall

Last edited:
36x12x18 is about 30 gallons.

Cichlid is a pretty broad category. Are there any certain types of cichlids you are referring to?

There are quite a few different varieties that could be accommodated in a tank that size but making recommendations is a little bit hard without knowing what you are interested in? For examples, if you wanted cichlids from the rift lakes in africa that would be totally different than south american riverine cichlids.

I want african cichlids

Pseudotropheus saulosi would probably work in that tank. The males are blue and the females are yellow so one species will yield you some color variety.

I will warn you that your tank is too small for most african rift lake cichlids.

I want to breed them to make money to upgrade my tank

I want to breed them to make money to upgrade my tank
You will need an additional tank to grow out the fry. The parents will eat them. If you are planning to make any material amount of money on them you will need to grow them out to a decent size so you will need another moderate sized tank.

Perfect! Get a 55 and use this tank as a grow out!!

I have a 110 litre tank i was thinking of using for the fry ?

I have only just started breeding and selling african cichlids and I warn you that they take a lot of time and tank space. They need a breeding tank (30 gallon minimum - I'd only use a 30 to breed mbuna, peacock would need larger and haps would need even larger) then you need a fry tank. Preferably small. It's easier to keep clean when feeding 3-4x daily and doing water changes almost daily as well. Then you need a growout tank. That tank depends on how big you want to grow them before you sell. More space + Water changes = quickest way to grow fry.

Making profit off of breeding and selling is not a lucrative money maker. But it will pay for your hobby.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thankyou i shall do some investing

Start by investing in some used 75's if you want to keep/breed African cichlids. If you'd rather work with what you have now I can sell you a pair or trio of super red BN pleco's.

I am in the uk

No problem, my original breeding stock came from Germany, lol. But seriously, BN require less space than most cichlids and the super reds are still worth breeding/raising/selling. I got a group of juvies several years ago, and actually made enough selling them to support the hobby and a few extras.

Thats great but in england its a bit harder pet stores dont tend to buy them what sort of market am i looking at ?

I never sell to pet stores. No clue what the internet community is like on your side of the pond, but buying and selling fish online and shipping or receiving them is a becoming more common now. Fish that aren't available in stores, and with little or no risk of contaminating your tank with disease or parasites if you deal with people breeding/raising the stock at home, make it quite attractive. Prices are often lower as well, which offsets the shipping cost. Aquarium forums are good places to find other hobbyists who have bred fish and want to move them along. There are also less specific online classified ads like Craiglist available.

Back
Top Bottom