Tank mate for male convict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justkell

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would be a good tank mate for a convict in a 120 gallon ? I had a 55 gallon husband bought me a new tank for my b day ran for 2 weeks.now want a new fish any suggestions ? Would convict do ok with Oscar also don't want a female convict thanks

you have plenty of options as far as tank mates. the oscar will work and you could also look into green terrors, jack dempsey, firemouth, severums, chocolates etc...... i would try googling south or central american cichlids and try to find mildly aggressive fish that appeal to your eye.

Fire mouths are a great choice IMO, JD's also are ahold choice but they get pretty big. It boils down to what you like. Google them and see what appeals to you and your tank.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Ok now it is between a jack Dempsey or tiger Oscar!

Wow that all of what? 15-20 minutes to get the fish and get it in the tank. You work fast! What size tank? Whats your filtration like? How many fish all together, just the two?

I have a 120 gallon with a male convict and the tiger oscar I picked up today! Tiger is in a 40 gallon until Monday!

Thanks any tips puting fish in what I should look for or put in tank? New to all of this

Thanks any tips puting fish in what I should look for or put in tank? New to all of this

You wanna give them each there own little hiding spot if needed. With a big tank like that I'd keep it as open as possible. BJT... Like a said maybe a nice big piece of driftwood in the center to break it up and some nice sized stones.

Also maybe consider bare bottom as Oscars are messy.

If its one convict you want have to worry about breeding so no need for hiding places or ceramic pots etc...

How's your filtration?

Congrats on the O.

They are among IMO the top 5 fish you could keep. I wish I didn't have so many years in the hobby that I could enjoy one the same as when I was a kid.

All though being so common I have never kept one that was disappointing. Truly a awesome fish that will with out a doubt spin you into a case of "MTS" and lead you into larger tanks and less common fish(in the hobby).

Good luck with the tank and as always... (Pics or it didn't happen!)

You wanna give them each there own little hiding spot if needed. With a big tank like that I'd keep it as open as possible. BJT... Like a said maybe a nice big piece of driftwood in the center to break it up and some nice sized stones.

Also maybe consider bare bottom as Oscars are messy.

If its one convict you want have to worry about breeding so no need for hiding places or ceramic pots etc...

How's your filtration?

All due respect Con-

With a messy fish as a Oscar, bare bottom or not, large WC's are gonna be the Norm... Might as well give the fish substrate to move and make their home "their own". I agree large DW, and rocks to claim as their own will be beneficial.

Also, it's a large tank. Make sure w/e structure you add(rocks or driftwood and pots) are touching the bottom glass) oscars love to dig as almost all NW cichlids do. Don't give them a reason for a structure to fall on them, or fall into the glass.

Can't wait to see update pics.

All due respect Con-

With a messy fish as a Oscar, bare bottom or not, large WC's are gonna be the Norm... Might as well give the fish substrate to move and make their home "their own". I agree large DW, and rocks to claim as their own will be beneficial.

Also, it's a large tank. Make sure w/e structure you add(rocks or driftwood and pots) are touching the bottom glass) oscars love to dig as almost all NW cichlids do. Don't give them a reason for a structure to fall on them, or fall into the glass.

Can't wait to see update pics.

No ill feelings at... I understand what your saying and agree. Was just offering up something to consider. I have a lot of friends with big tanks and Oscars etc and they have very nice setups just bare bottoms. It makes for removing decor and cleansing a breeze.

Hey!! We all can't agree all the time right? What fun would that be!

Enjoy your day! And feel free to call me Dino :)

Back
Top Bottom