Tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My stocking will be

2 dwarf gourami
2 German blue rams
3 killifish (will remove if not enough space)
5 panda corys
1 brittlenose pleco

In a 27 gal. Can I get 1 more cichlid? If so what kind is pretty and compatible with DGs and GBRs?

Sillyfishies said:
My stocking will be

2 dwarf gourami
2 German blue rams
3 killifish (will remove if not enough space)
5 panda corys
1 brittlenose pleco

In a 27 gal. Can I get 1 more cichlid? If so what kind is pretty and compatible with DGs and GBRs?

I would say you are already stocked.

But what if I got rid of 3 killifish? Wouldn't that open up for one more cichlid. It doesn't look like I would be able to get the killifish I want anyway.

Sillyfishies said:
But what if I got rid of 3 killifish? Wouldn't that open up for one more cichlid. It doesn't look like I would be able to get the killifish I want anyway.

Maybe an apistogramma pair.

Sillyfishies said:
OMG they're beautiful!!!!!!!!!! How hard would they be to find and how expensive!!!!

If you have a good lfs you should be able to order them through them. Not sure on prices though. My lfs sells them for about 4.99. There are over a hundred different types so you could be there awhile try to decide which ones to get. haha. Find out where your lfs orders their fish from and try to visit their website.

These are some of my favs

http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.c...PR&Apistogramma-agassizii--rio-tefe-red-.html

I have a petco and Petsmart next to my house if not there is a specialty store I know of too. Will they get snippy if they pair up?

Edit* I like the fish with lots of blue. What apistogramma would have a blue body

Sillyfishies said:
I have a petco and Petsmart next to my house if not there is a specialty store I know of too. Will they get snippy if they pair up?

Most all cichlids will get snippy at some point. If they pair up and in the case they spawn......watch out!!! It will get worse. Even the dwarf gourmis can be fin nippers.

Sillyfishies said:
So should I stick with all females? 2 DG 2 GBR 2 apistogramma all female be okay?

I guess that wouldn't be a bad idea. Only drawback would be the fact that in most of those fish the males are a lot nicer looking than the females. Especially the gourmis.

A blue apisto species would be apistogramma trifasciata, also know as the blue apistogramma. Mind you that only males develop the nice blue color. I love my pair, but they can be quite the bullies! But no nipping or anything, just the occasional chase

Oo.... So how should I match the males and females? I know u can't have 2 male DGs in the same tank. So what ratios should I have?

Sillyfishies said:
Oo.... So how should I match the males and females? I know u can't have 2 male DGs in the same tank. So what ratios should I have?

1:1 imo......just make sure they have caves and breaks in the line of sight. Things work differently for everybody but I would add the fish all at the same time so nobody has a chance to claim the whole tank. You are fully cycled I'm assuming.....?

Freakgecko91 said:
A blue apisto species would be apistogramma trifasciata, also know as the blue apistogramma. Mind you that only males develop the nice blue color. I love my pair, but they can be quite the bullies! But no nipping or anything, just the occasional chase

Also the Apistogramma Agasizzii Tefe Pearl Blue (only knows this very specific specie because I'm looking to build a tank around them). If you are looking for a certain pair or Apistogramma, you should check Aquabid.com

Nope. In the middle of cycling. Getting close to being done I'll add more caves and stuff soon. If I add Cory's and the pleco after will the cichlids attack the corys and pleco?

Predfan27 said:
Also the Apistogramma Agasizzii Tefe Pearl Blue. If you are looking for a certain pair or Apistogramma, you should check Aquabid.com

+1 on the aquabid hint. Great place to find what your looking for and the breeders can be trusted to have top of the line fish at great prices!

cbourg746 said:
+1 on the aquabid hint. Great place to find what your looking for and the breeders can be trusted to have top of the line fish at great prices!

They have some of the rarer species that you won't normally find at your LFS or Chain Store. Plus, individual breeders usually give you higher quality fish.

Back
Top Bottom