Tank questions & showing off :).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tx Oscar Lover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
To start off, hello everyone :).

I'm an Oscar lover as my name implies. Lol. I currently have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I have 2 oscars in it, (main reason I have the tank) 2 algea eaters, 2 bala sharks, 1 red tailed shark, & 2 green Seveurms I think they are called. I have a few pictures of my oscars attached.

Next week, I'm going to my LFS to purchase a 100 gallon tank with stand for $400. I checked. That's a fair price I believe. Second input would be nice though? Also, I plan on making it a sand tank, with flat stones stacked around as caves. What are the best places to find black sand, and these stones?
I plan on purchasing two 60 gallon filters. 2 200 watt heaters. 2 40 gallon air pumps. 2 10 inch bubblers. 25 foot hosing. I have these all in a cart on amazon for $150. Again, fair price? I think it is.

Ohh & the last picture is of my cat*fish :)

Attachments

• image-2955531098.jpg
    image-2955531098.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 536
  • image-3744845490.jpg
    image-3744845490.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 532
  • image-3263811842.jpg
    image-3263811842.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 518
To start off, hello everyone :).

I'm an Oscar lover as my name implies. Lol. I currently have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I have 2 oscars in it, (main reason I have the tank) 2 algea eaters, 2 bala sharks, 1 red tailed shark, & 2 green Seveurms I think they are called. I have a few pictures of my oscars attached.

Next week, I'm going to my LFS to purchase a 100 gallon tank with stand for $400. I checked. That's a fair price I believe. Second input would be nice though? Also, I plan on making it a sand tank, with flat stones stacked around as caves. What are the best places to find black sand, and these stones?
I plan on purchasing two 60 gallon filters. 2 200 watt heaters. 2 40 gallon air pumps. 2 10 inch bubblers. 25 foot hosing. I have these all in a cart on amazon for $150. Again, fair price? I think it is.

Ohh & the last picture is of my cat*fish :)

Welcome too AA. Your gonna need a way bigger tank than a 100g. Id say around 250g or drop an oscar the bala sharks rainbow shark and severums. The oscars will grow and grow and grow. All those fish are very territorial. The best place to get the bkack sand is a fish store and goto a rock yard or try lowes and home depot. Tbey tend to have flat ones you can break

Best place for black sand is Tractor Supply Co. Get a couple bags of black diamond blasting sand. It is beautiful and super cheap. I got a 50lb bag for under $10. You will probably need at least 100 lbs of sand for the tank, so it could save you tons over the petstore black sand which usually runs $25 or so for a 20lb bag.

I think you should rethink the filters, though. Look into canisters. Oscars are very messy fish and I don't think 2 60 gallon filters will cut it. And I agree that you may want to look at a bigger tank if you want to keep all those fish. The oscars will outgrow it.

Oh, and that's one pretty catfish!

Thanks for the replies.

What if I put the oscars in the 100 gallon & keep the others in the 46 gallon? Would that work out?

As for the sand, that's exactly how much it cost online & at the fish store. I actually work on a farm, so I'm sure my tractor supply store has some.

Canister filters, I've heard of them. I'll do some research on them. Thank you :).

I have a little bit more information to lay down. I've had these fish for about 13 months now. I've fallen in love with the oscars. Their personalities, amazing. I have a 50 gallon, and a 20 gallon filter on this tank.

& one more question. Driftwood? I've been reading about it. Places that maybe sell it? If not ill go find my own, & boil it & all that good stuff.

I think the 46 is too small for any of those fish. Balas get over a foot long and do best in schools of six or more, I think a 180 is the general recommended minimum tank size for them. If the algae eaters are common plecos, you would need a bigger tank as well. They can get nearly two feet long. A red tailed shark could work in the 46. I don't know much about the severums, so I can't help you there. And I think the oscars would do better in at least a 150 rather than a 100. They get big, make a lot of waste, and are territorial.

If you haven't done so already, check your local craigslist for deals on bigger tanks. You might be able to find a bigger tank for less than the 100 gallon at the store, perhaps with some extras like filters or lights. If you are going to need a bigger tank anyway, why not upgrade all at once so you don't have to do it again?

Check eBay for driftwood. I've gotten some nice pieces there.

Welcome Oscar Lover! You will love this site; it's full of great info and really nice people who want to help. First off, LOVE your catfish! We are getting a kitty soon and I can't wait to see how he/she interacts with my fish tanks (all seven of them, gulp).

Great price for the tank/stand combo! It's sometimes hard to get a used one for that price. Super jealous!

I went with a black Tahitian moon sand and LOVE it! It is really a very fine gravel, so doesn't get cloudy at all, and it has a light shimmer in the light. BUT, it is pretty pricey. I have heard lots of great stuff about the black diamond blasting sand, and will also look into it for future tanks myself.

For rocks I highly recommend going to a landscape/stone supply company. I just did that last weekend and instead of $3-$5 a pound (which was the price at the LFS), I paid..wait for it...11 cents a pound! It's for a small tank, but I still got 50 pounds of rock for just under $6! Can't beat it. Don't even think of getting rocks at the LFS.

As for the filters, I have only ever had HOBs, and I really like them. I use AquaClear filters (super cheap on Amazon) and they have always been great. However, my largest tank is a 60 gallon. If I got anything larger I would definitely consider (and most likely go with) a canister. They are a bit pricey up front, but they will do a much better job for your oscars. I guess you could always get 2 large HOBs at first and then seed a canister with the old media later if cost is an issue right now. And although I do like my filters, I love the clean look of the canister...no tubes and wires anywhere.

The only other thing is your stocking list. The oscars are going to get HUGE. They are awesome fish but really will need the whole tank to themselves. I would definitely do some more research for better tank mates, if you really want some. The other guys you have are really neat, but I just don't think it's going to work out long term.

Would LOVE to see pics as you set up your new tank! We here at AA like to live vicariously through other people's tanks lol.

Welcome Oscar Lover! You will love this site; it's full of great info and really nice people who want to help. First off, LOVE your catfish! We are getting a kitty soon and I can't wait to see how he/she interacts with my fish tanks (all seven of them, gulp).

Great price for the tank/stand combo! It's sometimes hard to get a used one for that price. Super jealous!

I went with a black Tahitian moon sand and LOVE it! It is really a very fine gravel, so doesn't get cloudy at all, and it has a light shimmer in the light. BUT, it is pretty pricey. I have heard lots of great stuff about the black diamond blasting sand, and will also look into it for future tanks myself.

For rocks I highly recommend going to a landscape/stone supply company. I just did that last weekend and instead of $3-$5 a pound (which was the price at the LFS), I paid..wait for it...11 cents a pound! It's for a small tank, but I still got 50 pounds of rock for just under $6! Can't beat it. Don't even think of getting rocks at the LFS.

As for the filters, I have only ever had HOBs, and I really like them. I use AquaClear filters (super cheap on Amazon) and they have always been great. However, my largest tank is a 60 gallon. If I got anything larger I would definitely consider (and most likely go with) a canister. They are a bit pricey up front, but they will do a much better job for your oscars. I guess you could always get 2 large HOBs at first and then seed a canister with the old media later if cost is an issue right now. And although I do like my filters, I love the clean look of the canister...no tubes and wires anywhere.

The only other thing is your stocking list. The oscars are going to get HUGE. They are awesome fish but really will need the whole tank to themselves. I would definitely do some more research for better tank mates, if you really want some. The other guys you have are really neat, but I just don't think it's going to work out long term.

Would LOVE to see pics as you set up your new tank! We here at AA like to live vicariously through other people's tanks lol.

Thanks for welcoming me! I've been reading alot of threads for about a month now. So I've been around, just made my first post :).

Ah, those rocks & that sand sounds like it'll save me alot of money. Money isn't a huge issue, but when I can save. I do :).

As far as tank mates go, that's disappointing to hear. At the LFS they said my stock was all compatible. But I'll look into it.

The 100 gallon I'm understanding might not be enough for the two oscars? So I might wait on that to try & find a larger one.

& I'm blown away by some of these people's aquariums. They are truly incredible. But I'm happy I found this place, advice & ideas. Can't beat it.

Sooner or later we all learn to take LFS advice with a grain of salt (depending on the LFS, sometimes a whole shaker of salt, lol). Keep in mind that in most cases, their goal is for you to spend as much as they can talk you into. Always research things on your own before making any purchases and you will do fine. I would definitely take some time to look for a bigger tank and save the money and hassle of having to upgrade twice. If you rehome the other fish, I think a 150-180 would do you just fine for the pair of oscars and possibly some smaller appropriate tank mates. To keep some of the existing fish along with them, I would look for at least a 220. Essentially, look for the biggest tank you can afford and have room for. Then we can give you a hand figuring out what fish you can keep in it.

Sooner or later we all learn to take LFS advice with a grain of salt (depending on the LFS, sometimes a whole shaker of salt, lol). Keep in mind that in most cases, their goal is for you to spend as much as they can talk you into. Always research things on your own before making any purchases and you will do fine. I would definitely take some time to look for a bigger tank and save the money and hassle of having to upgrade twice. If you rehome the other fish, I think a 150-180 would do you just fine for the pair of oscars and possibly some smaller appropriate tank mates. To keep some of the existing fish along with them, I would look for at least a 220. Essentially, look for the biggest tank you can afford and have room for. Then we can give you a hand figuring out what fish you can keep in it.

Well I have the option to buy a bow front 175 gallon tank for $450 on Craigslist. Excellent price. But I can't find a stand for it :/. Any ideas?

Okay :). I contacted the seller, looking for a truck to take a 100 mile trip to Austin to pick it up.

Good deal! You can sometimes buy 2 different stands to put under it or you can contact a welder and have him construst a very nice one to the tank specifications

Good deal! You can sometimes buy 2 different stands to put under it or you can contact a welder and have him construst a very nice one to the tank specifications

Great news! They have a stand for sale, they said it was homemade. So I'll have to check it out before I purchase it. But it's another $200 for the stand. He said its not the prettiest thing, but I'll check it out. Looks like I'm headed to Austin to buy my new tank.

Great news! They have a stand for sale, they said it was homemade. So I'll have to check it out before I purchase it. But it's another $200 for the stand. He said its not the prettiest thing, but I'll check it out. Looks like I'm headed to Austin to buy my new tank.

Great good luck. To test how stong the stand is, jump up on it and sit and rock and move and twist. If it doesnt break or sway a ton then it should be great. Check for warpped wood and leak spots. Have him fill the tank and check for leaks

Well, I am home with my new 175 gallon bow front tank :). $650 for the tank & stand. It was a long drive, hit traffic twice, got pulled over cause my tail light went out, but all in all it was a successful day.

Now I just need to get it setup! :):)

Attachments

• image-3118194012.jpg
    image-3118194012.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 268
Well, I am home with my new 175 gallon bow front tank :). $650 for the tank & stand. It was a long drive, hit traffic twice, got pulled over cause my tail light went out, but all in all it was a successful day.

Now I just need to get it setup! :):)

Wow great buy! Whats the stand look like? What are the tank dimensions? Im jealous btw

First, congrats on your fish and on your tank.

I know you've been reading a lot here, but I see a wood floor and have no idea of how it it supported. With a tank that large, the structural strength of the floor is a concern, too.

Best wishes and enjoy. Hated to say anything, but then again even worse if you filled the tank and the floor caved in!

Back
Top Bottom