tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishjunkie123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i have 65 gallon with 3 peacocks, 1 electric blue jack dempsey, 1 daffodil, 1 red jewel and 1 red tail black shark...looks great and all the fish get along. What else can i add?

I think the proper question is.... What do I remove when the fish get bigger, and aggressive?

The EBJD should have the tank to itself IMO.

Take out the ebjd than you can definitely add some more fish

Yea I'm a little outside the box with my stock, but ive had stocks like this before in my fw tanks with 0 problems...but im just getting into this aquarium advice thing and thought i would ask, but i still wouldnt change it. Thanks people

Okay, but you asked for advice and you are going to completely disregard it? That's odd.

Anyways, as the fish mature, they are going to beat each other up or kill each other, just be on the look out for when you need to move them.

Yea I'm a little outside the box with my stock, but ive had stocks like this before in my fw tanks with 0 problems...but im just getting into this aquarium advice thing and thought i would ask, but i still wouldnt change it. Thanks people

For sure, I love asking for advice. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I go with my gut (or just ehat i want). I don't have experience with ebjd or any of those fish your keeping so I can't tell you what to do, I'm just advising from what I've read/heard. Do what you want, just know these fish's lively hoods are in your hands, up to you to give them the best re created habitat you can. Take that in to account, I usually do when housing my fish.

For sure "jakepen"...but anyway for ex; i had a 29 gallon tank with a JD, Daffodil, Red tail black shark, Kenyi african and Yellow lab with no problems and each fish reached its maximum potential...so either im a genius at FW hobby or extremely lucky...either way that was before i went to SW...now im starting my FW back up and was wanting input but thats ok im "going with my gut" as usual. Thanks everyone.

For sure "jakepen"...but anyway for ex; i had a 29 gallon tank with a JD, Daffodil, Red tail black shark, Kenyi african and Yellow lab with no problems and each fish reached its maximum potential...so either im a genius at FW hobby or extremely lucky...either way that was before i went to SW...now im starting my FW back up and was wanting input but thats ok im "going with my gut" as usual. Thanks everyone.

A lot of those fish are barely able to turn around in a 29 gal tank. That's kinda sad.

and the electric blue Jack Dempsey will only reach a maximum of 6-7 inches... they are not like the regular( or blue jean Jacks) that some people like to call them

you're right Scotty horse and it wasn't an electric jack, it was a blue jean; or regular Jack Dempsey as everyone knows it...lol

Fish junkie, the fish can be put in there like you, I had a 20 gallon long with dojo loaches, who he'd lived to be 5+ years and grew to be a foot long, I wouldn't get you in trouble for the tank size even of the 29 gallon, but there is another serious concern which is aggressive level in your tank those fish will kill each other, it is the best for your fish

not advice... just seeing what kind of input other hobbyists have... you know for better ideas and such

If you ask for input, but don't like what you are hearing, please kindly ignore it.

I was giving sound advice from past research.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been cleaned up. Further rudeness and/or personal attacks will result in thread closure. Thank you for understanding.

I guess it depends on how you take care of your fish... each one of those reached 5 inches and the jack Dempsey was 7 inches...

The Dempsey, with proper care, should reach a size of 8-10".

and the electric blue Jack Dempsey will only reach a maximum of 6-7 inches... they are not like the regular( or blue jean Jacks) that some people like to call them

Yes, the EBJD is known to stay smaller than regular JD specimens.

you're right Scotty horse and it wasn't an electric jack, it was a blue jean; or regular Jack Dempsey as everyone knows it...lol

*Gene.
A blue gene JD should reach 8-10" as would a regular JD; it is a carrier of the blue gene and not an EBJD. So, are we talking about an EBJD, or a blue gene JD? These are quite different fish. Either way, it has no business residing with African Rift Lake cichlids due to differences in temperament and water parameters. You posted a thread asking what other fish you could add to the tank; I second everyone else who recommended nothing, and would suggest you do right by your fish and go with ARLCs and rehome the jack, shark, and jewel, or go with CA/SA and rehome the ARLCs (jewels are African riverine fish and can likely do fine with a CA/SA setup). You did in fact post this thread on a public forum, and as such, you should be aware that input about your stock list is going to happen whether you agree with the recommendations or not.

Last edited:
that's okay I don't agree with what you say because I have done it before with no problems! thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom