Tank size for single male Johanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is a fish up at my workplace that I would like to "adopt." I believe that it is a male Johanni (I hope to do more research to get it figured out). If I can get him out of his current (terrible) setup, would he be ok by himself in a 20L? I would like a bigger tank but I have the 20L just sitting around my house and I could cycle it with a filter off of one of my other two tanks (each has an extra filter on it for situations like this). Would this work? He is currently in a 10 gallon and I just can't stand it! Thanks for any input!

A single male johanni will do fine in a 20gal long all by itself.

Mbuna's are social fish so a solitary johanni may exhibit different behavior than it would in a tank with peers.

A 20 L wouldn't be much better for him and they really should be kept with a group of either all males or some females for him...but it would.most definitely be better then his current setup

I've considered getting another 40 breeder during Petco's dollar per gallon sale (whenever that may be) so that I can move him and possibly get him some company, I was just hoping that a 20L would help solve the immediate issue with how cramped he is right now. Thanks so much for your response!

The 40gal would be fine for a solitary set up as well, but the 20gal would also work.

If you're considering adding tank mates, and specifically other mbuna's, a
55gal+ would be in order.

The 40 breeder would work if you wanted to just get him some females..maybe 3-4 which would give you nice color having the male johanni and its Orange female counter parts

I was really hoping a 40 breeder would work for him and perhaps a few females. That was my ultimate goal, but I can plan for something else if I need to. My plan at this point is to simply get him out of that tiny tank and make sure he is healthy.

Back
Top Bottom