Tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When someone looks at my tank, I want them to feel like they got roundhouse kicked to the face by Chuck Norris. It needs to pop, so here's my current choice. Advice would be greatly appreciated, but so far I think this would work with my current setup. A 55gallon with a salvini, Pleco and two female peacocks.

New stocking list-
Everything stays that's in there now*
1 pair of pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi
1 demasoni
1 pair Labidochromis caeruleus
1 pair panda ilia nyererei
1 labidochromis textfilis
1 red zebra or a harem of 3
1 altolamprologus compressiceps

I don't think that would imo the peacocks with aggressive mbuna is probably not a good idea. Plus you are mixing lakes witch is another not soo good idea. And almost all of them are listed at different aggression.

If you try it and it works great I think it would be a cool tank. But if it was me I would be ready to re home some. Just my opinion you'll probably get a lot more

Last edited:
I tried doing a "one of these one of those" tanks against the advice of more experienced people when I started and the end result was as expected. Bad

I could definitely re-home the peacocks. The salvini has always down well, so hopefully nothing will happen. I didn't think any of those were overly aggressive, I tried to stay under mildly aggressive.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
I could definitely re-home the peacocks. The salvini has always down well, so hopefully nothing will happen. I didn't think any of those were overly aggressive, I tried to stay under mildly aggressive.

Zebras are aggressive as are demasonis. Compressiceps are from a different rift lake, requiring higher pH and a more protein rich diet as opposed to the algae rich diet of mbuna. Also, while compressiceps are carnivorous, they're very passive and prob wouldn't do well in that tank.

I will drop the altolamprologus compressiceps. What's your opinion on the nyererei? What other cool options would you personally suggest to fill in any spaces left.

I'm starting to think this is becoming a Mbuna tank. I found these as other options-
Bumble bee
Afra cobue orange back
Fossochromis rostratus

Sorry, I realized the compressiceps was a bad idea right before your post. I read that the textfilis was mildly aggressive. Ive had a demasoni, so I will drop that if need be.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
Sorry, I realized the compressiceps was a bad idea right before your post. I read that the textfilis was mildly aggressive. Ive had a demasoni, so I will drop that if need be.

Keep it aggressive. OB zebras, demasoni, auratus. Harem of each.

Yah, I'm going to do the harem on the red zebras. Instead of the demasoni, I might go with a pseudotropheus elongatus ornatus.

Forget th textfilis, I don't want to risk it. I wanted to keep it aggressive, but not extremely aggressive. But somewhere in the moderate zone.

Oh, I thought I mentioned that I didn't want the in the tank. Yah, I saw they were highly aggressive and I only wanted mild-moderate aggression levels.

Oh, I thought I mentioned that I didn't want the in the tank. Yah, I saw they were highly aggressive and I only wanted mild-moderate aggression levels.
Your salvivi is a new world cichlid and isn't recommended to be with Africans he also gets to be 6" and is aggressive. So lets keep this in mind if your going to try and do this. Plus I know with all but one of these your peacocks might work with depending on witch peacocks you have.
Ok well this is what I came up with

Pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi 4
Labidochromis caeruleus. 3
Red zebra. 2
Afra cobue 3
This would be a mild group imo

I had to take out the nyererei because its a hap that's listed extremely aggressive.
Bumble bee are listed mild but they can go both ways plus they get big so I didn't put him in any list.

Last edited:
Or for aggressive I know you said you don't want to do it but I split your lists by aggressiveness.

Pseudotropheus elongatus ornatus 4
Red zebra 3
Demasoni 3
Auratus 3

Since your salvini ( I think I spelled that right) gets big I tryed to stay with smaller ones since this is only a 55 gallon in both groups.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the time you took, I never knew salvini's were aggressive. Also, the nyererei weren't mentioned as aggressive. I think I will go with the mildly aggressive list. It better fits the coloration that I am seeking. Thank you

I don't know whether to try it with the salvini, or just take her out. As far as the peacocks go, they can stay or go. That doesn't matter, now that the male is dead.

Back
Top Bottom