Tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all... Upgrading to a 125... My question is if I transfer all my sand and rock along with some water will I have to go through another cycle?.. I have a Rena xl running and will be adding at least another that size to new tank... Will I be good to go?...

I have recently done this as well but also I put the same filter media into the new filter. I had the tank looking dark brown for a day then I changed the filter foam pad(canister), tank cleared up and I put the fish in in the same day. Worked great. All though I did buy some complete cycle 35$ bacteria for a "full" cycle not sure if it did anything.

Thanks for the reply... I thought I will be good .... Just need to hear that it's a good plan... Here is my 72 now..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392001233.140283.jpg

Thanks for the reply... I thought I will be good .... Just need to hear that it's a good plan... Here is my 72 now..View attachment 221775

Be careful though if you have the time to cycle for 2-3 days I would. I was just in a rush with renovations and stuff. Make sure you have some nice and dirty filter media with a ton of beneficial bacteria. And it will work like a charm.

Tank has been running for a year so I am keeping the filter I am running now and adding another.. Will transfer some media into new canister ...

As long as you also keep the same filter media and don't add any fish to your stock you're fine. You might see an ammonia spike of .25ppm for 1-2 days while your BB re-establishes itself, so make sure to do a PWC or buy some Seachem Stability/Prime.

Thanks... Use prime for every water change..will def wait to add any fish ....

How did it go?

I'm about to upgrade a Malawi tank from 90 to 180.
Will reuse the current FX5 and will add a new FX5.

Now thinking about the logistics to do the swap as the new tank needs to go where the old one was.

Did not do it yet... Will prob be in the summer..... Mine is going from main floor to the basement so yours is a little more tricky.... How about getting one of those big hard plastic storage bins from Home Depot to keep the fish while u make the swap..

Did not do it yet... Will prob be in the summer..... Mine is going from main floor to the basement so yours is a little more tricky.... How about getting one of those big hard plastic storage bins from Home Depot to keep the fish while u make the swap..

Good idea.
I might get a 55g trash can to move the water out of the old tank.
Storage bins for the fish.
then remove filter and stuff from old one a move out of the way
then bring new tank and start putting it together.

wish me luck. I hope my fishy are ok in this process. :fish2:

I just transfer all my fish from my 135 gallon to my 250 gallon tank and refused all old filters and sump . Did it two days ago and tested the water everything is good so far.

That must b some tank krazy.... Post a pic... Would love to see that beast

Back
Top Bottom