Tankmate for N. Leleupi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajw8071

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've had a Leleupi Cichlid kept singly for a while now, he's healthy, extremely active (the most obsessive digger i've ever owned cichlid wise) in a 20 gallon long with lots of rock work and a 10x turnover rate. The only problem is when I get close to the tank he darts into his caves which is normal for tangs. He'll come back out and "defend" his territory after the initial shock of me getting too close wears off but this has led to me feeding him in an unusual manner. Due to that initial scare he gets I dont like to let the NLS float at the top and get scattered so I soak it and place it at the bottom of the tank in a cluster so he gets all of it. I'd like to add another tang or two to the tank but I'm concerned about the feeding method and making sure the new fish wouldn't take all the food away from him before he gets the chance to eat it. How would you handle this situation and what type of tankmates would be suitable? If adding anything would be ok I am a fan of the julidochromis marlieri (gombe)

With other fish in the tank and the extra activity I would imagine his shyness would wear off pretty quickly. As for tank mates, I'd go with Julidochromis or some of the larger shellies. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom