Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have currently, 2 tiger Oscars, 1jack Dempsey, 1 green terror, 1 red finned groumi, 1 spotted gar, 1 umbee, 2 plumb headed cichlids, 1 fire mouth cichlid, 1 red devil and a red tailed catfish ( small about 5-6") in a 200 gallon aquarium, there isn't any aggression going on that ive noticed and plan on building a way bigger aquarium with more swimming room as I know they all get larger, my red tail will eventually get a pond with my res and diamond back terrapins, but my question is are there any other species I can add, I like dovii, red terror cichlid and jaguar cichlids or any others that get a decent size and wont become lunch, so any recommendations

I think for now your pretty fully stocked and that's assuming you have enough filtration. You could probably get away with a Jag but I wouldn't.

I wouldn't add anything else those fish you have now will need something like a 300 gallon in the future as long as you get rid of the red tailed catfish. I would also keep your eye on the red devil.

300 gallons isn't enough. 600 gallon would be a starting point for everything besides the red tail. If you don't build a pond soon that red tail will have everything ate in a few months. Your fish must be quite young as that many large cichlids in that small of a tank would be a blood bath. They will start fighting before long.

I agree. That red tail will make snacks out of a lot of those fish. They can grow an inch a month. Not really a suitable aquarium fish, more like a pond or lake is needed lol. I'd look into finding a place to rehome him or build him a pond otherwise you will end up with a fat catfish.

That Umbee will need over 200 gallons to himself, add in a psychotic fish like a red devil and you're gonna have lots of problems. I'd rethink your stock plan... Either stick with the less aggressive fish (firemouth, JD, GT) or just choose a few of the aggressive ones, build yourself a huge tank or pond, and hope/prey they don't kill each other at some point.

Back
Top Bottom