tankmates? please help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a 55gal w/:
2 parrots
2 small algaes
1 kribensis
1 severum
2 jewel cichlids
& 1 venestus

now i know the venestus shouldnt be in there, & i assume the jewels were a bad choice too but no one bothers anyone except the bigger jewel chasing the smaller. i have been told that the venestus will eventually try to kill everyone but i dig em so much i couldnt rehome him.

if i removed the venestus & jewels, what could i add that has some nice color?? i was thinking another kribensis or 2 w/ a catfish..?? im open to anything though.

all help is appreciated!!

just go easy on me, i have trouble remembering whos african & whos south african :)

thanks!!!

Even after rehoming the fish you mentioned the tank will still be overstocked with the parrots, severum, krib and plecs. Severum and parrot's will each reach a final size of 10" or bigger. A 55g being the bare minimum that will support two of those but not three IMO, I would rehome the jewel, venetus, krib, and the severum and keep the parrot's and maybe the small plecs or one parrot and one severum. I'm not sure what size the fish are now but as they mature their behavior changes and bad things start to happen even with generally mild mannered fish like those.

i do know i'm currently overstocked but i should have mentioned they are all under 3-4 inches annnd once we find a first floor apartment i'll be upgrading to at least a 125gal .. the 55 is temporary & will become my salt tank once we move.

w/ that being said, any ideas on other tankmates for when i upgrade??

I don't know about you but when I see big tanks I think big fish, so I would I would add another severum or another large cichlid like a chocolate, texas, jack dempsey or a breeding pair of salvini's. Personally I can't stand parrot's, so If it were me I would ditch everything and start fresh with a 5-6 juvie heavy hitter's like jags, trimac's, festae, vieja or dovii's wait for a pair then rehome the rest throw in a group of clown loaches, a couple of bristlenose's, some dithers and call it a day.

So do you have any thoughts as far which way your heading? I know you mentioned the kribs but anything else?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom