Tanks next to each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Might be a silly question but does anyone know if a fish can see into the tank next to it. Maybe 2 1/2 feet apart? The red devil stares out that side of the tank but so far he has not flared up or anything.

I'm just not sure if they can see each other with the 2 side panes of glass water and space between the tanks. My curiosity is not enough to stick my head in the tank and see. LOL

I dont think it would be such a bad idea letting them see each other, might keep them entertained from time to time.

They can see out just like you can see in. (When you see reflections, it's because you are looking an angle.) It's only a problem if the fish gets agitated by the other fish.

Hope this helps

Got me interested now. Would a fish realise that there is glass there that separate them or do they not have any perception of glass. Would a fish become agitated if it saw a predator in another tank.

Got me interested now. Would a fish realise that there is glass there that separate them or do they not have any perception of glass. Would a fish become agitated if it saw a predator in another tank.
They can pick up the change in water pressure and flow when they get close to the glass, or maybe the change in light. Otherwise they'd constantly crash face first into the glass.

No, fish will not recognize glass as a barrier. There are only a few select animals that are able to actually do that, most of them vertebrates, with many species of cephalopod (octopus, squid, etc) being the exception to that rule.

My panduro can see his reflection somehow. Swims around and flares are his reflection or something.

I got a pic (I know he doesn't see the angle like I do)

image-3037407599.jpg

image-3994241736.jpg

So I'm not to sure about what my answer would be.

They can pick up the change in water pressure and flow when they get close to the glass, or maybe the change in light. Otherwise they'd constantly crash face first into the glass.

Not too sure about this at least when I had silver dollars they only knew the glass was there when they slammed in to it. They were not too smart. If they could get a bloody nose they would have many times.LOL

Not too sure about this at least when I had silver dollars they only knew the glass was there when they slammed in to it. They were not too smart. If they could get a bloody nose they would have many times.LOL

Lol hahaha you did it you got me cracking up here lol I remember my silver dollars lol it's true idk maybe some fish are smarter than most like gold fish they swim around a bowl once and they think its the ocean lol

I don;t believe they understand "glass" per say only that they can see the other fish but can't get to them for some reason. In my Angelfish Hatcheries, I kept tanks next to each other lengthwise but would put a black or opaque divider for 3/4 of the adjoining glass between the tanks. This way, the fish would be able to see a potential rival when I fed them which seemed to make them more active spawners. I would put the spawning slates in the section where the fish could not see the other tank so they weren't distracted during spawning. So I know they can see through the glass.

I have also seen many fish like larger type cichlids ( Oscars, Devils, Dempseys, etc) cause great damage to their faces trying to get through the glass to get to another cichlid in an adjoining tank. While the initial enjoyment of seeing this behavior was true, the overall effect was not all that entertaining due to the stress to the fish and the cost of medicating the wounds. Once you've seen this, you use dividers so that they don't do it again.

Make sense? (y)

Back
Top Bottom