texas cichlid and blood parrots aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j4m35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently upgraded m tank and recived a few free fish. one of which being a texas cichlid, i also have two blood parrots, one is a very dark colour and sometimes kind of stripy aswell.. (not dyed/tattoed, I will have to try and get a picture as i think its beautiful) and the other is a nice orangey colour how they are normally.
but i seem to be having a little aggression problem between the dark parrot and the texas, the texas will chase the parrot across the tank and has pecked a bit at it, abit like fin nipping really. he will only do it now and again if hes hanging around him for a long time. he wont hunt him down or anything. but he does get on fine with the other parrot infact he seems to be kinda of flirting sometimes (the typical cichlid shiver and display the dorsal fin and even somtimes bumping sides lol). which leads me to think it might be that hes only chasing the other parrot as he thinks he might be there to try and steal his lady...

i was mainly wondering if this is just something i should just keep an eye on for the moment or if i should break them up. it just seems such a shame to split them up as ive grown so attached to the parrot and ive only recently got the texas but hes already one of my favorites in the tank.

thanks
James

Last edited:
The Texas Cichlid in my avatar is an absolute killer. I'm convinced he could take down a Great White. His aggresion seriously is maniacle (sp?). I'm scared I'm going to wake up one night with him latched on to my jugular for not feeding him enough.

Our relationship reminds me of Rick Moranis' and the Pirana Plant:

Killer: "FEED ME!"
Me: [meekly] "okay..."

Mine has been alone a while now, and yours does have some other fish to "socialize" with, so perhaps he'll cool down. Good luck.

the tank is 30gln. so i know its to small as they can all grow pretty big but the fish are all still in juvy stage so they all have plenty of room to get away from eachother and hide. i will get a larger tank when a) i have the money (lol) b) i have the space for a larger tank and c) when they start getting bigger
it just shocked me a bit as they were all getting on fine when i put them all in, and its only the one fish he is aggressive towards. all the other small fish (algea ater and a couple of danios) he takes no notice of.

the tank is 30gln. so i know its to small as they can all grow pretty big but the fish are all still in juvy stage so they all have plenty of room to get away from eachother and hide. i will get a larger tank when a) i have the money (lol) b) i have the space for a larger tank and c) when they start getting bigger
it just shocked me a bit as they were all getting on fine when i put them all in, and its only the one fish he is aggressive towards. all the other small fish (algea ater and a couple of danios) he takes no notice of.

When he gets bigger, and it will happen fast, he will take notice of them...right into his belly.

well i managed to get a couple of pics, not the best in the world as my digi cam packed up recently so im having to use my mobile to take the pics. and also doesnt help that they are all very camera shy, they will come and show off at the front of the tank whenim about but as soon as the camera is out they try and hide... anyway heres a few of them...(unfortunatley still cant get one of them together)
img_860805_0_7e4aadc3559cc0aa8e830f3bffd19fd3.jpg

img_860805_1_a9aec1e856f711c78a69241595dfb5be.jpg

img_860805_2_d43013cf30eb29dd7b2e8939b8b4840a.jpg

img_860805_3_a24a408ef8f0061f7f2af311efcc7d41.jpg

dark and stripy see.... i think hes so pretty, you can also see on his tail where the texas has nipped a bit.

Back
Top Bottom