Texas Spawn, need advice!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I came home tonight and when I went to feed my texans I found my male hanging out in front of these little jelly like dots on the back of the tank wall!!! So after realizing what they were I am now so pleased that they spawned!!! I have had them for 6+ months and while the idea of babies was exciting it wasn't something I was counting on. So help, advice! What do I do?? What's the best care I can give them? Anything special to do for mom and dad???

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424576326.855929.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What size tank are they in?

What are their tank mates?

Do you like to see how the parents care for their young or want the most fry to survive?

There is more then one way to do it. So let me know. I will try and help.

See about getting a micro worm culture and some fry starter food.

Congratulations!

Ps have you raised fry before? If yes what species?

What size tank are they in?

What are their tank mates?

Do you like to see how the parents care for their young or want the most fry to survive?

There is more then one way to do it. So let me know. I will try and help.

See about getting a micro worm culture and some fry starter food.

Congratulations!

Ps have you raised fry before? If yes what species?

No one (including me) will like what size tank they are in.... Going to look at a bigger one this weekend! Got them from a local breeder 7 months ago, who I have a feeling just wanted to unload them, they prob weren't producing for her. Didn't know what I was getting at the time. Previously got Mbuna off her (who are doing great!)

No tank mates!

Between mom and dad eggs have been devoured, their first batch, they'll get the hang of it :)

Already geared on the fry food!!

And thanks, wasn't expecting them to produce but excited that they are trying!!!

Only ever had guppy fry before!!!

Maybe because I'm on my phone but those eggs do not look fertilized, are they white or tannish in color?

Only one white egg, that got devoured on day 2, had beautiful looking eggs until dad decided to chomp the rest down on day 3. :(
I could see little black dots in each one... Hard to capture on the iPad ;)

To be completely blunt and honest, I'd cull every baby this pair has. They're what are known as "short-bodied". This is a genetic deformity that gives fish a "balloon" look. This trait is commonly exploited in species like mollies and blue Rams, and I have seen it in Texas in the past, prior to yours. This is a deformity and often shortens the lifespan of a fish, as their body is not meant to be this way. So just my two cents, but I see it as cruel to bring a deformed creature into this world when it can be avoided. So my advice is way to go on giving them a good life, but add some bottom feeders and let nature take its course for them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To be completely blunt and honest, I'd cull every baby this pair has. They're what are known as "short-bodied". This is a genetic deformity that gives fish a "balloon" look. This trait is commonly exploited in species like mollies and blue Rams, and I have seen it in Texas in the past, prior to yours. This is a deformity and often shortens the lifespan of a fish, as their body is not meant to be this way. So just my two cents, but I see it as cruel to bring a deformed creature into this world when it can be avoided. So my advice is way to go on giving them a good life, but add some bottom feeders and let nature take its course for them

In my opinion, culling is a horrible thing to do and it's more cruel to not even give the babies a chance at life than to kill them just in case. It would be like someone killing human babies because they have a deformity.

I'm gonna stop you right there because that is an ethics and moral question not meant for a fish forum.

Culling is a common and necessary part of fish breeding. Letting dozens of short bodied fish grow to adult hood means that many more of these heading out into the trade, as a entry level hobbyist could not possibly care for a bunch of these.

I'm just going to politely thank everyone for their opinion and advice, and leave it at that.

I'm just going to politely thank everyone for their opinion and advice, and leave it at that.

The point of my original post was to identify that you have short bodied and that it is in fact a genetic deformity. Was never trying to bring a question of ethics or a debate on culling. I will gladly drop that and avoid it for the sake of the thread

The point of my original post was to identify that you have short bodied and that it is in fact a generic deformity. Was never trying to bring a question of ethics or a debate on culling. I will gladly drop that and avoid it for the sake of the thread

It's ok no offence taken... And actually now that I think about it, I do seem to recall the breeder referring to them as 'balloon' texas cichlids....

Fishy novice, whatever you decide to do with your fish/fry, I'm with you. At the end of the day, you remain - a human :)

Fishy novice, whatever you decide to do with your fish/fry, I'm with you. At the end of the day, you remain - a human :)

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom