The babies are out now what????!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
i want alot to survive what can i do should i take out the mom and dad should i stop the filter help!!!!:p

Couple different things you can do.

If you have a free tank you can either remove the fry into that tank and let them grow from there, or you can remove the parents and put them in the free tank. I suggest moving the fry though.

If you have a filter running, cover the intake with some kind of filter sock, some kind of material that will not let fry get sucked up into the filter.

Feed them live brine shrimp if you can, if not just crushed up flake foods.

Make sure you keep up on water changes in the fry tank, they need good quality water to survive at their best.

no no no

i wouldnt do any of those i would let the convict parents do there job. they will actually protect the babies. dont believe me? put ur finger up to the glass and watch the daddy attack it. just sayin thats how i'd do it. much more interesting although fishcrazy knows what he's doin too as he and me have both bred cons. you can do it either way. let the convicts grow up with the parents for a few more weeks then seperate them. just my 2 cent

Actually it's how your convicts breed, Mike really can't say i'm wrong since my convicts aren't good parents and i'm having to remove my fry now. Your convicts might take care of them, it really depends. My convicts have spawned atleast 6 times for me since i've gotten them and the fry have never made it to free swimming stage because of the parents, so i'm starting to remove them. Others have luck with getting good convict parents that will take care of them for long periods of time.

We're both right. It's really up to the convicts. So you can't really say i'm wrong. If you want as many as you can to live like you said, I would remove them and not even risk letting your convicts eat some of them, but if you want to watch your convicts raise the babies like I wanted to, then just leave them in there but a lot are prob. going to die.

wasnt sayin u were wrong. ur right. it just depends on the parents. cons have up to 300 fry at a time so i think you have pleanty. specially if you want to breed them more than once

wasnt sayin u were wrong. ur right. it just depends on the parents. cons have up to 300 fry at a time so i think you have pleanty. specially if you want to breed them more than once

no no no

i wouldnt do any of those

Don't really know how else you can take that besides the person calling you wrong. Hmmm, whatever.

Like I said since you asked how can keep as many as possible, I suggest removal of the fry.

just sayin thats how i'd do it. much more interesting although fishcrazy knows what he's doin too as he and me have both bred cons. you can do it either way.
read^
not sorry but im not gonna argue no more. no need.

- no need to reply to this post -

Good luck with your cons tntfish

Imo, convicts are some of the best parents, and if not, they probably will be (not personal experience), and will catch on after a few times. I would leave the fry in there and put like a sponge over the filter intake.

i did try to fix some new rock i gat for the tank but the dad and the mom boh keeped on bitting me so i jus stopped it was pretty cool hoe they were protecting here babies and today the mom has dug a hole in the sand in front on the rock and is movin all the babies to tha hole wicth is pretty cool because now i can see all the babies clearly

My teacher used to have some convicts in the classroom, and he just used a snail shell, and you could probably just drop that in.

I placed a giant flower pot in my convict tank and they spawned on that 3 times, then they moved to another area and I can't see were they place their eggs now, I just can see the pile of fry once they are hatched. I guess just put a bunch of options in there for them and see what they prefer.

Also my convicts before they spawn makes not just one pit, but several pits around where they spawn, then put one pit right under the eggs which the babies usually end up there. I've only seen them use one of the surrounding pits once.

hd to take the dad out last night i saw him eat ike 3 but he was still protecting alot but i still took him out out the fry are swiming all around the tank not to high tho they stick to the ground and in a huge pack wher ever the fry goes the mother goes they love swimming around a big lva rock in ther but so far so good

Are you sure he was eating them? I'm not totally sure, but I think convicts might take the babies into their mouths to move them, but I'm only about 60% on this.

yea he def ate some iseen the mother moving them around all the tyme

Back
Top Bottom