The Elusive Electric Pink Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigBoyStatus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently received what I believe to be an electric PINK JD - any thoughts of what he will turn out to look like? I've never actually seen a pic of a full grown one, and I'm kinda worried he's just gonna end up being a platinum (which would still be cool).ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392419109.052680.jpg

Also - I bought him in kinda rough condition, so he's still coloring up and he had a fungal infection that is almost gone - other than that he's bueno.

There's reasons you don't see many adult ebjds, epjds, or pjds...they're typically very weak genetically and often don't survive past the 3-4" mark. They often look great, then suddenly become lethargic, and start to wither away. There's a debate on where the come from, some say they're line bred, some say they're a hybrid with nandopsis haitiensis. After speaking with some people very involved in the hobby, one of them being one of the better pleco breeders in the country, I do actually believe they are a hybrid with haitiensis, which would lead them to being overall weak genetically.

There's reasons you don't see many adult ebjds, epjds, or pjds...they're typically very weak genetically and often don't survive past the 3-4" mark. They often look great, then suddenly become lethargic, and start to wither away. There's a debate on where the come from, some say they're line bred, some say they're a hybrid with nandopsis haitiensis. After speaking with some people very involved in the hobby, one of them being one of the better pleco breeders in the country, I do actually believe they are a hybrid with haitiensis, which would lead them to being overall weak genetically.

I can see that. When my guy was younger, he was rather 'beaky'. The beak did diminish as he hit his fourth year.

I didn't know that - let's hope that doesn't happen to him. Do you think good water quality and diet could counter act that at all?

Hence why I said that "there's a debate if they are truly line bred or hybrids"...they very well could be hybrids due to many features that don't match a regular roccio octofasciata, like the beak mentioned earlier, as well as the odd coloring. In other species where the electric blue gene is present, it is seen more as an overlap of bright blue on their regular pattern, such as electric blue rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and electric blue acara (aequidens pulcher).

Back
Top Bottom