The "Perfect" 55g Dwarf Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrehorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I am starting to set up my 55 to house dwarf cichlids. Right now I have 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Angels, 2 Kribs (more on those later or in another post) and 1 corey cat. I am planning on getting more; Hopefully a couple of Apistos if the LFS can ever find them.
Anyway, any advice on what I need in there from equipment to water parameters, no matter how insignificant it may seem, I want to know it.

On a side note, I got the two Kribs on Saturday. On sunday, I noticed the male digging a hole/den under a mock piece of driftwood. Monday, I saw eggs. Today, I see no eggs, or fry for that matter. Which of the above could have eaten them? I would like to try to breed them if I can, but this event is a bit disheartening. :cry:

The Kribs probably ate them. It happens all the time with my GBR's.

As for water parameters... SA fish tend to like a slightly acidic pH and softer water but they have been bred to do well in the more common conditions. The best thing you could do is post your pH, hardness etc. and we could tell you if that will be okay for the fish you have. Most likely your parameters will be just fine as is the case nearly all of the time. So you have a freshwater test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How long has the tank been set up for?

You may also want some sort of algae eaters in your tank. I would recommend 2 bushy nose plecos as they only get 4.5" max.

The kribs probably ate them. That is not uncommon for their first try. And maybe even the second. But kribs breed like rabbits, so you will have fry in no time, lol. Maybe more than you'll ever want, lol.

As for water parameters, unless you are dealing with more sensative fish like GBR's, your water will probably be perfectly fine. Bolivians are very hardy, as well as kribs and angels. And if the Bolivians are a pair, they will also breed like crazy, but will eat the eggs and/or fry most of the time, especially if they feel threatened by other cichlids. Best to remove the eggs and hand-raise them.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do have a bristlenose pleco (are they the same as bushy nose?). Last I checked, my pH was at about 8.2 using the API master test kit. A friend of mine had a kit that tested for hardness, and that came at about 180. The other parameters I will check this weekend and post it here.
Right now I have a Fluval 305 along with a tetratech power filter. The next time I get paid, I am planning on getting a plant light and some live plants.

That is pretty much liquid rock :) But, I do know folks who keep some species of SA cichlids (Angels, Rams) but not many of the apistos.

The bristlenose pleco and the bushynose pleco are the same fish, there are several species in the genus (ancistrus sp). Most often, the fish is mislabled at the LFS.

Jchillin said:
That is pretty much liquid rock :) But, I do know folks who keep some species of SA cichlids (Angels, Rams) but not many of the apistos.

The bristlenose pleco and the bushynose pleco are the same fish, there are several species in the genus (ancistrus sp). Most often, the fish is mislabled at the LFS.
i live 30 miles north of Sabrehorn, my KH is 13 degrees and my GH is 20 degree, PH b4 CO2 is 8.0... my angels, rams and apistos do fine (have not spawned yet though :?)

Jchillin said:
I now know of someone who keeps Apistos in liquid rock. (y) JDogg makes a valid point, SA cichlids will not spawn in the more alkaline water.
lol it might make a difference that my apistos are localy breed, but she spawned them in RO water...

Ok, what can I do to lower the pH. As far as the hardness, I do have a rather large piece of driftwood, which I have been told is supposed to lower hardness.

SA cichlids WILL spawn in a pH of 8.0-8.2, I have seen this quite a few times on www.aquabid.com with GBR's, especially in Texas. The sellers will usually give the parameters, often on the listing.

easiest way to lower your ph would be by injecting co2. if u plan to go planted u may want to look into a pressurized co2 system. a little costly but u will be far more liekly to induce a spawn, u will grow some wicked plants, the tank will look amazing and your fish will thank you. u could safely drop your ph to about 7.4 to make te fish more comfortable while also providing an ideal enviroment for the plants.

I now know of someone who keeps Apistos in liquid rock. thumbs_up

Well, now you know of two someones! I haven't tested my pH in a long time, but I know it is 8.0-8.2. I never test GH or KH. The SA fish that are surprisingly thriving in my water are:
a large angelfish
a Bolivian ram
rummynose tetras
2 apisto steindachneri
a nannacara anomala
3 baby keyholes
4 discus
I have other SA fish, but those are my more delicate species. Sabrehorn, I think you could keep apistos, as long as you knew what perams the sellers kept them in. My major concern for you would be your krib pair beating them up during a spawn.

The bristlenose pleco and the bushynose pleco are the same fish, there are several species in the genus (ancistrus sp). Most often, the fish is mislabled at the LFS.[/quote]i live 30 miles north of Sabrehorn, my KH is 13 degrees and my GH is 20 degree, PH b4 CO2 is 8.0... my angels, rams and apistos do fine (have not spawned yet though :?)[/quote] I breed all of my rams and most of my apistos in tap water with a PH of about7.8 to 8.0 you just need to find the right breeder to help make breeding more affordable.

I had a pair of rams spawn several times in my tank, ph was about 7.8 - 8.0 at the tap but I had large chunks of driftwood in the tank where readings were always in the mid 7's, never tested for dissolved solids, but I suspect they were lower in the tank. As I say I had spawns, but no eggs ever hatched, I attributed this to my ph level.

Back
Top Bottom