Thinking about convicts. Info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceWind

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I decided to come here for advice after some severe disputing at other fish forums so I hope i've come to a open minded community here.

I've had my tiger barb setup for awhile and for the most part its going well, but I keep hearing how cool and awesome convict chiclids are and they actually have quit a personality for a smaller fish. Any truth to this? What kinda fish are these actually? What makes them so unique? How many can I put in a 29 gallon setup? Any other fish like few barbs so kind fill in the blank space? Will they leave live plants alone? Any particular species that are good, my local Petsmarts has got TONS of different convicts in stock, so I have no clue what would be good.

I'd just to have some fish that have a bit of personality to them for some entertainment for once.

That being said, I looked at their stock and heres a list of what personally liked both in size and color and what the salesman told me of their personality. Whats your choice out of this list?

Family Cichlidae (South/Central American):
-Black Convict Cichlid *Apparantly EXREMELY aggressive*
-Firemouth Cichlid *Aggressive but more tolerant*

Family Cichlidae (African):
-Ice Blue Zebra Cichlid *Middle of road aggressive, colorful fish and hardy
-Kenyi African Cichlid *Beautiful blue color really caught my eye*
-Jewel Cichlid *Less aggressive behavior, good tank mates if within species tank*

I think the convicts are the only ones that would work in a 29 gallon tank. If that is the jewel cichlid I am thinking of they are swimming terrors.

I have a pair of black convicts in a smaller tank right now, but they used to be in my 125 gallon. Either one of them got along quite well with the rest of my fish (all fairly aggressive South American cichlids, so don't take that too far. The rest of my fish can hold their own). However, as soon as there was a pair and they fell in love, they immediately started trashing the tank like bulldozers and ganging up on any fish that came into their half of the 125! Some of the other fish are a 12" oscar, a 10" oscar, and a full grown Jack Dempsey... none of them are wimps.

I finally had to relocate both convicts to restore peace to the tank.

I have a jewel that's fairly mellow. I've heard that firemouths are very aggressive too though.

Hope this helps!

First, stay away from putting african cichlids with SA cichlids. It's a bad idea and nearly always ends very badly.
Second convicts can be kept in a 29 gallon but it needs to be a species only tank. Pretty much anything that can tolerate living with convicts is too small to go in that tank.
Plus, unless you somehow luck out and get all of them the same sex, you are going to have baby convicts in no time. They are notorious breeders. Convicts are very aggressive and have great personalities. They are a good fish. However, you are limited to a species only tank if you want to keep them in a 29 gallon.
Every cichlid is different but usually they are notoriously bad about digging up plants so unless your plants are extremely well rooted in the ground expect them to get dug up on a daily basis.

Also jewels are are pretty tolerant cichlid and are only usually overtly aggressive when breeding. Being Africans, they don't belong in a tank with convicts.

I would not suggest putting Tiger barbs with Convict, because my convict killed 4 tiger barbs before.

I really liked the Kenyi African Chiclid, it was a beautiful blue color. How fast do they grow and how many can I keep?

hmm, I know devilishturtles is looking to get rid of some pink convict fry. if you are interested, you may want to send a PM her way...I've got a couple comin one of these days. lol

Kenyis grow pretty quick when they are juvis. They are not recommended for a 29 gal tank. Africans should only really be housed in a 55 gal + tank because of the dimensions.

Thanks for the plug, jrp. :wink:

One thing to note about convicts is their prolific breeding, and thus agressiveness while breeding. They are very, VERY good parents. Unless you put something else in the tank that can hold their own with the convicts, nothing else will get along with them. I've tried plecos, synodontis cats, etc. and nothing will make it in my convict tank.

IMO, if you got the convicts, you could probably only have the convicts, and be prepared for the fry. May be a good live food option for you, if you have other tanks.

I've got a 29 gal with about 12 convicts, some other miscellaneous cichlids and a pleco. While there is a fair amount of aggression in the tank, especially when there are new fry, I think everyone is getting along okay. That being said, I think the key to my setup is that everyone was introduced when they were very young - under an inch or so. Good luck, and if you want some of mine, I'd be happy to donate or trade...

Bleh.. never mind, this sounds like to much of a PITA. I'll just live with Tiger Barbs.

adamatic, if you have 12 convicts and other assorted cichlids and a pleco in a 29 gallon tank, you are about to experience some serious fish losses. I won't lecture, that's all I'll say.

Back
Top Bottom