this is going to sound stupid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
But does it harm the fish if i touch them... my oscar and jack are really friendly but i dnt wanna cause them harm.

provided your hands are clean and not all chemically for any reason, i see no problem unless the fish start to bite! ha.
my oscar likes a stroke every now and then, my old one... not so much

You may touch them inside the tank but dont handel them outside of it. Fish have a slime coat and you will remove it.

and only touch them gently. my o will let me put my hand right around her... but if you use 2 much pressure u will remove the slime coat...

Ok cool thanks :) i aways make sure clean hands when doing fish stuff ;-)

But does it harm the fish if i touch them... my oscar and jack are really friendly but i dnt wanna cause them harm.

The key is to not have anything on your hands when going into the tank. No: soap, cleaner, moisturizer, conditioner, perfume, deoderant, etc. Just your natural skin. :D

I used to raise Oscars and had one that used to cuddle inside my hand when I put it in the tank. He was about 12" at the time so it was funny to see him act like a baby. If he had a thumb, I'd bet he would have been sucking it too. :lol: Just be gentle and try not to rub as much as letting them touch you.

Happy cuddling (y)

You should not be touching your fish unless you have to. Even then there are better alternatives (nets, containers, towels) to handling your fish. They do not need human touch. In fact unnecessarily touching them is a detrimental risk.

k.mascher86 said:
whos to say they dont need human touch?

Your not serious. Are you??? You should be avoiding putting your hands in the water let alone touching the fish.

pretty sure i am serious.......my jds and my eartheaters like to rub on my fingers when i feed them live bloodworms.........so your telling me im wrong?

k.mascher86 said:
pretty sure i am serious.......my jds and my eartheaters like to rub on my fingers when i feed them live bloodworms.........so your telling me im wrong?

Yes. Your misinterpreting their behavior.

oh this is gonna be entertaining.......please explain how i "mis interpret" their behavior?

Paxlerod said:
You should not be touching your fish unless you have to. Even then there are better alternatives (nets, containers, towels) to handling your fish. They do not need human touch. In fact unnecessarily touching them is a detrimental risk.

Nets containers and towels will all stress your fish much more than your hands will and nets take off more of their protective coating then your hands will. It's much safer and helps you bond with your fish if you use your hands to move them when needed. And I see no problem with Pettin your fish if they don't mind it.

Using a towel to handle fish is absurd and dangerous. A towel would remove all the fish's slime coat. There is nothing wrong with using clean hands to handle fish.

Khij159753 said:
Nets containers and towels will all stress your fish much more than your hands will and nets take off more of their protective coating then your hands will. It's much safer and helps you bond with your fish if you use your hands to move them when needed. And I see no problem with Pettin your fish if they don't mind it.

You must not be using the appropriate equipment. The best way to move a fish is with a vessel which would allow you to pull the fish out with some of its water without making contact with the fish. Yes sometimes grabbing a large fish with your hands may be necessary but even then there is the right equipment without the trauma of being grabbed. Fish are not lap dogs or a parrot. How do you gauge that they don't mind being petted?

Lets all please be respectful of other posters.

As has been stated, fish are fine to be touched with clean, wet hands. They can handle it just fine and some fish definitely will come up and beg to be touched. Their slime coat is thick enough to handle this, and they are making more slime coat all the time, so a little rubbing off is not a big deal. I wouldn't take them out of the water and pet them for minutes at a time, but underwater petting won't hurt them so long as your hands are clean and you are very gentle.

I stick my hands in the tank sometimes and my Cichlid's come right up to my hand and move about. It's fun to watch them as they let me pet them. It makes me feel closer to my pets then just watching them in a tank and feeding them.

I think it's healthy to bond with any pet! Fish, snake, lizard, dog, cat whatever it is! It's your pet! Bond with them and enjoy them!!

No harm done!!

Now I will go now and pet my fish!

absolutangel04 said:
Lets all please be respectful of other posters.

As has been stated, fish are fine to be touched with clean, wet hands. They can handle it just fine and some fish definitely will come up and beg to be touched. Their slime coat is thick enough to handle this, and they are making more slime coat all the time, so a little rubbing off is not a big deal. I wouldn't take them out of the water and pet them for minutes at a time, but underwater petting won't hurt them so long as your hands are clean and you are very gentle.

If what your saying is correct... What are we doing eating them. I do not want to eat an animal that wants/needs human physical contact. I love my fish. But they are fish. I am in awe of those that are advocating the need to physically stroke your fish for the emotional gratification. I would hope someone on this site with some expertise would step forward and get this straightened out. Even at sea world the only reason creatures allow human touch is because they have been conditioned that is how you get food.

i think you just answered yourself they know your the 1 who feeds them so they want to get to know you and stay on your good side to get feed...my fish let me touch them and the come to me at time when im working in the tank they wont leave me alone and keep petting me so to say...i think your just looking it in the wrong way enjoy your fish and they will enjoy you back(y)

^^^ amen!

But this thread to bed! Agree to disagree. I don't look down on you for not interacting with your fish by playing with them or petting them etc. so don't look down on those who do.

What's the big deal anyway? Sounds like your getting all bent outta shape.

Let it go... Seriously... Your beating a dead horse.

Back
Top Bottom