Thnking about relocating fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have several tanks of various sizes and am considering moving fish around a little bit. Trying to come up with the best mix because I'm sure I have some varieties in with others that may not be the best mix. For right now tank size isn't an issue, just the mix. I thought I'd give you guys the list and you sort them through two different tanks. If I should have three tanks I can but would like to stick between two. Heres the list:

One female Bumblebee Cichlid
One female Flameback Hap
One female Fuellborni
One male Venustus
One male Red Zebra
One female Red Zebra
One male Livingstonii
One female Livingstonii
One male Jack Dempsey
One male aurustus
Two plecos

Tank 1:
Bumblebee Cichlid
Fuellborni
Red Zebras
Aurustus
Pleco x1

This could be a very aggressive Mbuna set up but with correct stocking ratios it could work.

Tank 2:
livingstonii Trio
Pleco x1

Tank 3:
Venustus trio
Pleco x1

Fish in the nimbochromis family tend not to be very tolerant of their of species or any other nimbochromis, watch for signs of aggression especially during spawning.

Tank 4:
Jack Dempsey
Pleco x1

Flameback Hap is really the only odd one out, she may be able to get along with the Mbuna, caution should be taken when mixing lakes.

Good list. Currently I have the two Livingstonii, the bumblebee, and one pleco in one tank and then the rest in the other. I am curious about your list now that I think about it. You have three and then possibly four tanks. What would you change if you were stuck with only two tanks?

And I might add I understand your reasons and agree for the most part....but I'm still curious the best way to keep it to two tanks.

Mcass said:
And I might add I understand your reasons and agree for the most part....but I'm still curious the best way to keep it to two tanks.

In that case I would go with the Mbuna plus flameback in one tank and the livingstonii, Venustus in the other. Keep a very close eye on the nimbochromis' things could go south very quick. The Jack should probably be re-homed.

Here is another question I have though in that case....which is actually where I was leaning (sort of). When mixing from the same such as Venustus and Livingstonii, do you run any problems cross breeding ( which I wouldn't want).

Mcass said:
Here is another question I have though in that case....which is actually where I was leaning (sort of). When mixing from the same such as Venustus and Livingstonii, do you run any problems cross breeding ( which I wouldn't want).

When you put any mouth-brooders from the same general family: Mbuna, peacocks and Haps in the same tank you always run the risk of cross breeding.

I suppose that makes perfect sense. I have hoped that at some point my Livingstonii would breed but have never had any luck with them or any of my other fish. Not sure why. Well I appreciate your input Mogurako. I always get a lot from your advice. I went ahead and put the venustus and jack in with the Livingstonii. I also left the bumblebee in that tank (she was already in that tank with the Livingstonii) but will move her at the first sign of any troubles. I like the color she adds to the mix. The others are left in the other tank.

Back
Top Bottom