Thought I picked up some labs...what are these? ID please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up 4 ( well really 2 ) yellow malawi yesterday and after acclimating and checking them out i found that these 2 had an orange hint, maybe they are just young?

DSC00441.JPG

DSC00444.JPG

Sorry about the big pics, i thought they were smaller.

Honestly they could be any number of African Mbuna. If I had to guess I would say Maylandia Estherae. You'll know more once they mature.

BTW, I edited your post so the images would show.

Ok sorry about that, but they are ok to be with the yellow Labs?

I second the Maylandia Estherae suggestion. They are fine with Yellow Labs, but a tad more aggressive usually.

What size tank do you have and what else is in it? I'd get more if you have the room.

As long as you have an adequate amount of labs in the tank, I think you'll be fine. Labs tend to be one of the "schooling" Africans. They prefer to be in numbers, that's how they feel the most comfortable. Mine stick together. It's pretty cool to watch all 6 of them swim around the tank together almost like my Tetras in the community tank. Whenever adding species that tend to be more aggressive, make sure you have a nice grouping of the more docile specie.

So I should probably stick with just the 2 of the M.Estherae and get a few more labs for schooling?

With a 65 gal tank and only housing the labs and 2 Estherae you have plenty of room for more of both if you want. Otherwise, I'd add more labs. You'll be surprised how their personality will change.

Back
Top Bottom