Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Posts: 53
Tiger barbs = snacks

I picked up 6 tiger barbs a couple of days ago thinking they may serve as dither fish for my 3.5 inch very timid green terror (gold saum). Well, he's just as timid still, and I'm short a tiger barbs I even made sure to get only the largest ones the store had to avoid this issue. Probably taking the rest of the barbs back. Considering maybe some bala sharks? I have a 55 gal tank. Any suggestions or thoughts? I may have asked this before, bare with me, I just turned 30, I'm getting old and my memory is going. I certainly want some semi aggressive fish at least. I think g. Danios and the like would just be snacks as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
I picked up 6 tiger barbs a couple of days ago thinking they may serve as dither fish for my 3.5 inch very timid green terror (gold saum). Well, he's just as timid still, and I'm short a tiger barbs I even made sure to get only the largest ones the store had to avoid this issue. Probably taking the rest of the barbs back. Considering maybe some bala sharks? I have a 55 gal tank. Any suggestions or thoughts? I may have asked this before, bare with me, I just turned 30, I'm getting old and my memory is going. I certainly want some semi aggressive fish at least. I think g. Danios and the like would just be snacks as well. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
just get 4 more tigers, forget the balas, they are the most taboo aquarium species in this forumn, peeps get crazy when they see bala shark
__________________

__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Posts: 53
I'm not gaga over the balas but I think they look neat. Not crazy about how big they get but they're a considerable option. You think the big guy will leave the barbs alone if there's a bigger school of them?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
Pick up 4-6 more barbs. Def not bala sharks.
__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
erikmoseley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,265
What about Australian rainbow fish school instead of barbs?
__________________
erikmoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishdude3233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta ga
Posts: 1,622
If those rainbows get destroyed thats a REAL expensive snack. In my town their like 7 bucks, because I do t ship at petsmart
__________________
Fishdude3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
erikmoseley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
If those rainbows get destroyed thats a REAL expensive snack. In my town their like 7 bucks, because I do t ship at petsmart
That's true! I kow a guy that keeps a school w African cichlids w no probs. anything is possible but I feel you!
__________________
erikmoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
I'm thinking for rainbows to work you'd need a large school and adult sizes.
__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishdude3233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta ga
Posts: 1,622
Tiger barbs = snacks

I would agree with twiddle
__________________
Fishdude3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Tiger barbs = snacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
just get 4 more tigers, forget the balas, they are the most taboo aquarium species in this forumn, peeps get crazy when they see bala shark

Not gonna get horribly off topic but ya know after thinking about this, it's really true! Them and black ghost knifes always seem to spark the largest attacks and arguments
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Not gonna get horribly off topic but ya know after thinking about this, it's really true! Them and black ghost knifes always seem to spark the largest attacks and arguments

Same with pacu's !
__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post
What about Australian rainbow fish school instead of barbs?
Ya know, the first thing I tried was 3 bosemani Rainbows. and they did almost become an expensive snack. my gt came up behind them in what I can only describe as a "Jaws" moment. I had to get them out as quickly as possible. Maybe like someone said, they'd work if there were a large group of them, but thats still a pricey experiment I think. Which is a shame, because they looked great in the tank together.
__________________
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiddlemuffin View Post
Same with pacu's !
well it's settled. 4 bala sharks and a pacu it is! going into my gargantuous 55 gallon tank. new question, what else can I put in a 55 gal with 4 balas and a-- I'm only teasing. Just stirring the pot a bit.
__________________
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
well it's settled. 4 bala sharks and a pacu it is! going into my gargantuous 55 gallon tank. new question, what else can I put in a 55 gal with 4 balas and a-- I'm only teasing. Just stirring the pot a bit.

Great idea !
__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
well it's settled. 4 bala sharks and a pacu it is! going into my gargantuous 55 gallon tank. new question, what else can I put in a 55 gal with 4 balas and a-- I'm only teasing. Just stirring the pot a bit.
sweet! I just brought home my new alligator gar in a betta bowl!
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
sweet! I just brought home my new alligator gar in a betta bowl!
I hear those guys do better in schools. You'd better get a couple more in there.... and also 4 balas and a pacu.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
I hear those guys do better in schools. You'd better get a couple more in there.... and also 4 balas and a pacu. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I took it back, it ate my cat.
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I took it back, it ate my cat.
Oh? I thought cats were their recommended diet. I feed my cichlids wild bugs and rodents. That's what the guy at petsmart told me to do.
__________________
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
Oh? I thought cats were their recommended diet. I feed my cichlids wild bugs and rodents. That's what the guy at petsmart told me to do.

Really ? I give mine my own left overs, petco said it was a good thing to add to their diet.
__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiddlemuffin View Post
Really ? I give mine my own left overs, petco said it was a good thing to add to their diet.
so on thanksgiving did they all take naps too?!?
__________________

__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barb, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Angel snacks JaredMiklosovic Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 07-17-2013 02:29 PM
Sinking snacks for snials, bottom feeders and shrimp Kupcake Archive 1 02-29-2008 12:28 AM
Snacks for angels, gorami, and pictus Joey2619 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 11-01-2007 09:22 PM
Coralline snacks Scoot Saltwater Reef Aquaria 0 07-30-2006 12:16 AM
My Hermits think snails are snacks. MyMonkey Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 08-25-2005 11:38 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.