Time for a change... Livebearer to Cichlid Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So currently i have my livebearers in there. Im guessing i should move my livebearers to a seperate tank and then remove water and then set up rockery and sand? Start a fresh?

Yep it may stay cycled just keep the filter wet and don't clean it.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Infact, im upgrading my filter to an all pond solutions external filter so i will have to start a new cycle anyways, right?

You have any views on all pond solutions filter, i currently running a fluval 205 and an all pond solutions internal?

The internal is spot on and have no problems and the reviews of the external is 5*.

Nope I've never had one of those. You can run this filter with the other filters for several weeks to get them going good. Or you can dump the filter pads and what not into the new filter. If your setting up another tank for the blueberries then cut the filter pad in half to use part of it in each new filter

Blueberries?

So I can run both filters then remove my old one after a certain length of time? Once I remove it, would my new one he able to run efficiently on its own, because its been helped by another filter and so it may struggle with the bioload? Something some wrote which I read about on here.

Livebearers*
It shouldn't struggle if you waited long enough and the filter is plenty big enough. Just keep an eye on things for few days after removal and do water changes as needed

So here is my rockery and sand now sorted. Do you think it looks okay?

I do have a few fish still in there which will be moved tomorrow :)

My current filters will handle 5 yellow labs and 2 BNP until my new external gets delivered a week on friday?

Also, with the stock i would like to have is they a certain way i should put them in for example, weakest fish in first then the more aggressive in last like i did with my betta in a community tank?

Thanks, Arron.

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_201321_159.jpg
    IMG_20140324_201321_159.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 97
So here is my rockery and sand now sorted. Do you think it looks okay?

I do have a few fish still in there which will be moved tomorrow :)

My current filters will handle 5 yellow labs and 2 BNP until my new external gets delivered a week on friday?

Also, with the stock i would like to have is they a certain way i should put them in for example, weakest fish in first then the more aggressive in last like i did with my betta in a community tank?

Thanks, Arron.

Depends on the size and maturity of the fish. Generally people buy them under 2" so it shouldn't matter how you put them in. You may get some chasing and fighting at first but they should calm down once they figure out each others territories. Just keep an eye on them and make sure one isn't going buck wild on the rest.

Depends on the size and maturity of the fish. Generally people buy them under 2" so it shouldn't matter how you put them in. You may get some chasing and fighting at first but they should calm down once they figure out each others territories. Just keep an eye on them and make sure one isn't going buck wild on the rest.

So i should put in 5 at a time? Or could i put in as many as i like... what do you suggest? Trying to do this the 'right way' of doing things as i have had livebearers/barbs etc in the past which are very peaceful and not as temperamental as cichlids.

:thanks:

I'd be more worried about water quality. If they are all under 2" then a few every few days would be better. You could start out with more the first time like 6 wait a few days testing the water and if all good buy a few more so on and so on. If your going to get adults then you'll have to buy them all at once and really watch water quality and them

If I were you, I'd add your stock all at once to keep aggression down and also nice aquascape! Love what you've done, I think a black background would really bring it all together :)

If I were you, I'd add your stock all at once to keep aggression down and also nice aquascape! Love what you've done, I think a black background would really bring it all together :)

Thankyou, im not going to take the credit as it was my mrs who aquascaped for me :) I am looking for a new background, a 3D one preferably thought. A dark 3D background?

I'd be more worried about water quality. If they are all under 2" then a few every few days would be better. You could start out with more the first time like 6 wait a few days testing the water and if all good buy a few more so on and so on. If your going to get adults then you'll have to buy them all at once and really watch water quality and them

Thats the plan i was thinking of doing. Most of my LFS are usually around the 2" mark and adding over a period of days would be better for me financially too so win/win :)

Can you suggest a silent air pump? Infact, would my spray bar provide enough aeration to the tank without having an air stone?

Pseudotropheus demasoni.

Im 100% want these in my tank, assuming a 1:9female.

Ideas on how to stock around these?

Attachments

• cichlid stocking level.png
    cichlid stocking level.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 81
Pseudotropheus demasoni.

Im 100% want these in my tank, assuming a 1:9female.

Ideas on how to stock around these?

Just on a side note, demasoni's are little butt heads. They're considered a dwarf mbuna but they really need to be in large groups. I had one kill off a whole tank...

I think a 3D background would be cool! Would love to see how that looks, and yes I only had one, probably why he was crazy lol. Just thought id let you know that you shouldn't let the "dwarf mbuna" part about them fool you cause they still are very aggressive. With a group of 10 you should be good though!

Can't say how they will do. Some people get away with it and others not so much. You may be okay as long as you don't choose anything that looks close to them to go with them. Plus your going to need a lot of cover for the other fish. More than likely he will tear into the females so a 1/9 ratio would be best.

Can't say how they will do. Some people get away with it and others not so much. You may be okay as long as you don't choose anything that looks close to them to go with them. Plus your going to need a lot of cover for the other fish. More than likely he will tear into the females so a 1/9 ratio would be best.

Thats the plan then :) Updates should come this weekend with the first lot of juveniles in. I'm doing well to say i don't do patience :lol:

So i need to know which order of fish to start with, can you suggest which fish would be suitable and how many?

The fish that i find most colourful and attractive are:

Saulosi or Labs?
demasoni or Maingano?
acei
afra
Metriaclima Estherae or Iodotropheus Sprengerae?

There is my list of fish that are available to me locally aswell as myself finding them attractive to put in my tank.

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom