Time for a change... Livebearer to Cichlid Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xlarronlx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, in this thread i will be needing some advice before i go and do this on my own knowledge alone.

I have been in and out of keeping tropical fish since i was young with my dad but since i have moved out and into my own place i have now i had my own aquarium(s) for 2 years now and i now would like to start a cichlid tank. In my current tank i have your typical livebearers with also a very well behaved betta and 5 golden barbs. This tank has been running smoothly, no problems at all.

So now i have decided that i would like to change this tank to a cichlid tank.

I have:

180L Juwel Vision
Fluval 205
Fluval 4+ Internal

I am purchasing a new external, maybe to run alongside the 205 as i dont need an internal. APS have a 2000EF model which has high ratings and awesome reviews. Any views on APS external?

how would i go about this change? start fresh? New cycle? etc...

I would appreciate the advice and help giving to me, AQ advice members have never let me down before.

Thanks, Arron.

I wouldn't do anything just yet.. First thing always comes first and that research. Cichlids is a big name with tons of them from all over the world. So you need to decide is what kind do you want. Look up pictures, go to your lfs and see what's available.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't do anything just yet.. First thing always comes first and that research. Cichlids is a big name with tons of them from all over the world. So you need to decide is what kind do you want. Look up pictures, go to your lfs and see what's available.

I have done enough extensive research and i have decided on what cichlid i want. I have my wish list stocking image below.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• cichlid stocking level.png
    cichlid stocking level.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 168
The Acei should really be in a bigger tank and the saulosi and yellow labs may have problems.

I did some research upon them and four species are described as passive with each other. Can you expand on the problems that may occur?

Would AQ advisor point this out to me if they was going to be some sort of problem? If I stay at 1male/4female of each, that will reduce aggression right?

I did some research upon them and four species are described as passive with each other. Can you expand on the problems that may occur?

Would AQ advisor point this out to me if they was going to be some sort of problem? If I stay at 1male/4female of each, that will reduce aggression right?

Okay the reasons for the Acei is cause they need a longer tank. They are open water swimmers unlike most Mbuna that are rock dwellers.

The Yellow Labs and Saulosi look to much alike and possibly fight and/or cross breed

I thought the saulosi and lab may have that problem. They are nicely coloured which is why I chose them and seemed right for my tank except they look similar. The acei however is a defo nono or shall I research a little more on that one?

Any suggestions on species that would be good for my tank, most colourful mbuna preferably? Looking to get three to four types of species. 5 fish per species. The tank is in the living room so it is an attraction for my small children. Dull looking fish will not appeal to them. Thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated.

Just to throw something out there for your consideration, I personally would go the other way. I'd keep the Yellows and lose the saulosi. In my personal experience I've never had any luck keeping saulosi in anything less than a 6' tank. I've found the conspecies aggression in this particular species to be extremely high and have always ended up with a single individual left every time I've tried to keep them in any smaller tank. I'd love to meet someone who has actually had luck keeping them long term in a smaller tank, but I've yet to meet that individual. Most can keep them till maturity or long enough for them to breed once, and that seems to be about it. They are a beautiful fish and they are listed as a dwarf mbuna species, but they are extremely aggressive IME.

Just to throw something out there for your consideration, I personally would go the other way. I'd keep the Yellows and lose the saulosi. In my personal experience I've never had any luck keeping saulosi in anything less than a 6' tank. I've found the conspecies aggression in this particular species to be extremely high and have always ended up with a single individual left every time I've tried to keep them in any smaller tank. I'd love to meet someone who has actually had luck keeping them long term in a smaller tank, but I've yet to meet that individual. Most can keep them till maturity or long enough for them to breed once, and that seems to be about it. They are a beautiful fish and they are listed as a dwarf mbuna species, but they are extremely aggressive IME.

Almost didn't read the whole thing that you wrote and jumped on you and said right here lol. But the person ok got mine from breeds them in a 55 gallon.

Almost didn't read the whole thing that you wrote and jumped on you and said right here lol. But the person ok got mine from breeds them in a 55 gallon.

Andrew is he on this site or another one? I'd love to see what he is doing. I just ordered in a new batch of F1s to keep in one of my 100 gallons to try once again.

I would personally forego the bristlenose as well and go with one of the smaller synodontis, like petricola or luccipinnis (spelling? I believe that's right, or close enough). Mbuna have a habit of picking the eyes out of plecos, or flipping them over and picking holes in their stomachs. You can try it, I've just heard some horror stories

I would like to keep my bristlenose as i have had them from young, so really its in my discretion between the labs and the saulosi?

I would still like someone to be able to list 4 or so species to have in my tank if possible?

Much appreciated, Arron.

Okay the reasons for the Acei is cause they need a longer tank. They are open water swimmers unlike most Mbuna that are rock dwellers.

The Yellow Labs and Saulosi look to much alike and possibly fight and/or cross breed

2 males 6 females – Labidochromis Caeruleus
1 male 4 females – Cynotilapia Afra
1 male 4 females – Pseudotropheus Saulosi

this is taken from your article andrew, which is exactly what i suggested to add to my tank but you said that the saul and lab may have problems?

You have seen problems with these two since your article im guessing? :confused:

2 males 6 females – Labidochromis Caeruleus
1 male 4 females – Cynotilapia Afra
1 male 4 females – Pseudotropheus Saulosi

this is taken from your article andrew, which is exactly what i suggested to add to my tank but you said that the saul and lab may have problems?

You have seen problems with these two since your article im guessing? :confused:

Every so often someone finds a issue within an article. I need to get better at going back and editing.

The only issues I've came across from other people is the cross breeding. If you don't care and aren't planning to sell any of them then it wouldn't be an issue.

Every so often someone finds a issue within an article. I need to get better at going back and editing.

The only issues I've came across from other people is the cross breeding. If you don't care and aren't planning to sell any of them then it wouldn't be an issue.

No my tank is purely for my hobby and attraction for my kids. With more and more experience i will eventually dive into marine one day. The cichlid tank can be looked after by my son so i have the time to learn and create a good marine tank :)

My original stocking list is okay then. Sorted.

What would be my next steps be to plan?

Thanks, Arron.

Your next step if you haven't already done so would be putting the tank all together and getting it cycled.

So currently i have my livebearers in there. Im guessing i should move my livebearers to a seperate tank and then remove water and then set up rockery and sand? Start a fresh?

Back
Top Bottom