Time to go Cichlid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke EF

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think the time has come to finally go with a Cichlid tank! I am not going to say we will be moving soon, because I have been saying that for months with no luck (**** short sales) but whenever we finally move I want to do a new tank. Currently I have a 46 gallon bow with a strange group of fish which I will explain in a second

7 Diamond tetra
1 Lemon tetra
1 Panda cory
1 L183 Pleco

So the reason for the strange stocking is I had a massive die off a little over a year ago. It ended up being one of those plug in oil air fresheners as best as I could ever tell. Tank was established and healthy for probably close to a year. Plugged that sucker in, and the next day they started dying. Two days later, and more than half of my fish dead, I unplugged it. Day after that I think one more died, and nothing ever since. I take that back, I had gotten some rams and they didn't last for whatever reason. I honestly think they were not healthy from the start, but they were never doing good. Also one of the diamond tetras was bullying them, and nipping fins.

ANYWAY, on to some of the current equipment

Aqueon 46gallon bow front with the glass top and standard florescent light
Aqueon 200W Pro Ceramic heater (I have two)
Fluval 306 canister filter
Rena 400 air pump
Rena 200 air pump

When I do the new tank I will be changing to a 75 gallon for sure. It fits on my current stand perfectly, so that is locked in. Other than that I haven't decided on much yet. I am considering a partly planted tank, but regardless of that I will be going with much better lighting this time around. I am not sure what kind of light I want, and honestly don't know much about it. Anything you guys can tell me there is appreciated. For filtration, I know I will need a lot but I need some guidance on that. Should I get a second 306, or will I need more than that? Moving on to the heaters, should that be enough or do I go bigger?

I wish there was a good way to hide the heaters BTW. I have thought about inside the filter, but there isn't any spare room really. I have been on the fence about inline heaters as well. /heater rant

I do plan on another 3D background for sure. I am currently thinking of getting a slim one, and placing it a couple inches away from the back glass to help hide the equipment. That way the heaters are out of sight, same with the pick ups at least for the filers.

We will keep this first post to just the gear since I have a LONG time before I am ready for fish. Any and all advice is greatly appropriated, and welcomed. Thank you guys in advance!

Sean

Cichlids covers a lot of different fish. First I would research Africans and south and central american cichlids. Find what you like then list them here and then we can help you with what works together and what wont. For example with sa/ca there is different aggression levels and some wont even work in a 75. Then with Africans there are different requirements for diate and different aggression levels again. As far as plants go most cichlids will just destroy them not all but most.

Yeah, I guess I forgot that part huh. I am thinking Mumba, but I am pretty open since I am a Cichlid noob. I want bright and colorful, and relatively easy to keep fish. So I am not looking for any of the super aggressive variety. I was planning on getting into fish specifics later, but you do make a good point.

Lets see some pics of your 75!

Sean

I don't know much about Africans but I'm sure some one will give you some ideas to start with.

ForumRunner_20131023_204733.jpg

Back
Top Bottom