tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you can feed your goldfish to a big Oscar.....
Oscar's are hardy but will need a LARGE tank down the line.
If you want to get started in the Cichlid line, you may want to try
some diff variety's that are similar in temperament, etc to Oscars such as
Jack Dempsey's our Firemouths.
Good Luck!

more detail

Thanks but can you go into a little more detail. I had one a while ago. Killed the whole tank community killed it sadly I didn't want to but a aglae eater was in there and on the verge of death. So I need to do research before getting one and is there any cichlids that are compatabile with goldfish....

With goldfish cichlids no Africans will kill them and most SA will just eat them goldfish and cichlids don't ever go together

With goldfish cichlids no Africans will kill them and most SA will just eat them goldfish and cichlids don't ever go together

Agreed. And cichlids should not eat goldfish. To much protein they need more veggie matter in diet. Some is ok tough. I wouldn't put a goldfish in with my cichlids. They've eaten a Molly fry when it was accidentally put in their tank.

Agreed. And cichlids should not eat goldfish. To much protein they need more veggie matter in diet. Some is ok tough. I wouldn't put a goldfish in with my cichlids. They've eaten a Molly fry when it was accidentally put in their tank.

Only certain rift lake cichlids need veggies as their staple. The cichlids the op wants are mostly carnivorous. I don't think the op wants to put goldfish with cichlids, they were just saying all they've had is cichlids

I have had oscars and jacks and other massive New works cichlids but they need big and bigger tanks. Africans and darf SA cichlids are better if you want excitement oscars kinda just flout around. Angels are also a cichlid you can start with

One good thing to look into is what kin of water do you have coming out of your tap... I live in anchorage and our water is a little harder and much much better with african cichlids, but new world cichlids don't do quite as well. Something to look into. I have had many tanks and tons of cichlids, oscars ore NOT my favorite at all

Goldfish and cichlid arent together often because goldfigh like cooler water and cichlid like warmer water. There might be some cool water cichlids from northern south american, but not that I know of. If your interested in cichlids you should just get another tank, or get rid of the gldfish. A 55 gallon is a good start for some smaller south americans and africans. There is a lot of peacfule cichlids, it is a common misconception that they are all aggressive killers.

Back
Top Bottom