Tips for catching holding female Mbuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I apparently have 2 holding female Afra Cobue in my 55g Malawi tank. I thought I was seeing the same one, but there is actually 2 of them.

I know I could just leave them in the tank, but I don't think the fry would survive (if they actually hold long enough and don't swallow them). I'd like to remove them and put them in a divided 10g (its the only empty tank I have) and actually try to raise some of the fry.

My dilemma is actually getting them out of the tank. With all the rockwork and caves they've made in the rocks, there is no way I'd be able to catch them without moving the rocks out (something I'm not going to do). When the net goes in the tank, the fish hide, so thats not really an option either.

I had a holding female Eureka a couple months ago, but never could catch her and I think she got so stressed out that she swallowed them. It would have been her first time, but she was getting chased alot.

Do you fellow Mbuna keepers have any tips on getting fish out of the tank? I could try luring the 2 holding into a clear plastic container, but I don't think they'd go after food. With my luck, I'd catch every fish, but the ones I want. Should I just forget about trying to get them out?

If I only can catch one, thats perfectly fine with me. I just want some fry!

TIA

With all the rockwork and caves they've made in the rocks, there is no way I'd be able to catch them without moving the rocks out (something I'm not going to do).

I think you've answered your own question. Unfortunatly you could spend hours trying to catch her and maybe have success. Or you could pull the rocks out and catch her in a few minutes guaranteed. The choice is up to you.

If it is her first batch I'd just let them stay in the tank and let nature take it's course. Chances are if you chase them around the tank they will swallow the fry. I'd wait until the second or third batch before attempting to pull them from the tank. We "chase" holding females into the castle then use a net on each hole. Eventually she comes out. Unless you are going to take apart the rocks you probably won't get her out easily.

I always have to remove the rocks and ornaments to catch the holding females. I agree with FF, you should leave her in the tank if it is her first breed.

Thats what I'll do then. :) Thanks! Hopefully before the 2nd or 3rd batch I can arrange the rocks better, so they are easier to remove. We'll see though. By then the sponge filter for my QT tank should be nice and seasoned. ;)

Back
Top Bottom