todays question some minor fraying / nips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey guys

out of all my affys, about half have some minor nips & frays here & there.. its mainly all my males who have anything nipped, but my female borleyi has the same marks on her head that my oscar used to get when he would try to jump out

basically my question is, is some fraying / nipping normal? most affy tanks i've seen always seem this way but why not ask just in case

no one seems depressed or stressed & theres barely any chacing when the lights are on .. plus they all eat great

attatched:
first pic: flameback w/ nipped tail

second pic: venustus w/ frayed top fin (from growth?)

third pic: borleyi w/ 'cuts' .. looks like ick in pic but its not & they're already healing

LEMME KNOW WHATCHA THINK!!

all help is appreciated

( & if i'm just being a hypocondriac, its cool cuz i am LOL )

Attachments

• image-2843522768.jpg
    image-2843522768.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1910170010.jpg
    image-1910170010.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-268619146.jpg
    image-268619146.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 89
yeah i know!! :(

he JUST got it last night & i've never seen ANYONE chase him, even my 3inch kenyi who goes after my 4-4.5inch venustus dont bother him ...........

its a male lake victoria flameback.. only victoria in the tank

i am planning on rehoming my male&female red jake peacocks so if it would be wise, i could get another male & female flameback.. i dunno if thats even why he got nipped though :(

there are telltale signs of a bully. u have ALL of them there. the last pic has exactly what my fuelleborni had before i put it in a hospital tank, torn scales from biting. these can become infected or get parasites but luckily my fuelli's didnt.
the 1st pic has a chunk missing, this sign can be anywhere on the body be it fins eyes scales. NOT got, this is a higher level of an agression victim.
the 2nd pic doesnt have much fraying but the fact it is present suggests a fish either trying to defend itself against it or a fish challenging it. i will not say beating it up, because that fish looks like its in good health otherwise.

i heard about an agressor possibility in another of your posts, im getting a bit worried about who may be doing this stuff. if its only the males, they are trying to sort out dominance and make a heirarchy which they should get over, but there may be one nasty boy.
the female may just have been chased by multiple males in a spawning attempt and tried to escape, to no avail.

which male is least beaten up?

geez louize LOL

yeah i'm getting a little worried myself.. the venustus & fire fish / strawberry peacock are the healthiest looking males.. the flameback & the jake are my 2 beat up males.. & my borelyi in the 3rd pic has fine fins but does have the scale bites / scrapes..

also, all of a sudden my female albino golden peacock is all frayed up too.. what the hey-how-ya-doin is goin on hurr? lol

i thought my mix was legit but now i dont know :( tons of money spent, i'd hate to have to rehome all but the mbunas but since them & my peacocks are the majority they'd probably be what i chose to stay if need be..

HOPEFULLY it doesnt go there :(

That flameback in the first pic, are you sure that's a male? Looks female to me. Here are pics of my male and female.

Attachments

• image-329426683.jpg
    image-329426683.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image-615055900.jpg
    image-615055900.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 51
hes still young but i'm sure hes male.. his red & yellow is def coming in but in the pic you cant see it .. when he gets dark just cuz or for feeding time, you can see exactly what hes gonna look like

heres a few pics where you can see his color comin in

Attachments

• image-3645610277.jpg
    image-3645610277.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • image-149011480.jpg
    image-149011480.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2327838995.jpg
    image-2327838995.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 64
Back