Transforming South Am. Cichlid into an African Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalorientation

Aquarium Advice Activist
Let me begin with tanks and fish occupying them.

55g 2oscar, sun cat, common pleco, black shark

29g 1 blood parrot, 3 jewel cichlids , 1 synodontis eupterus, 2dojo loaches, 3clown loach, recently added 2 convict cichlids--- heard they do very well with jewel cichlids

30g community guppies mollies zebras (the oscar/shark lunchbox)

The only fish of decent size in the 29 are the dojo loaches (4") and the syndontis eupterus (2.5"). The fish in the 30 are breeding like crazy and are all inbred so they're just gonna be oscar supper.

How big do these syndontis eupterus get? The one I have resembles a common pleco but has bright spots on its back, a very high dorsal fin, and a temperament to give my black shark a push of his buttons.

Any wall-hugger catfish/loach that breeches 6 inches will have the honor of joining the oscars scrap collecting (except for the africans of course). The setup in my cleaning breeding 29g is superb with a coral rock, small cave and a coral decor.

Attachments

• dscf0185_183.jpg
    dscf0185_183.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 68
  • dscf0186_158.jpg
    dscf0186_158.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 67
  • dscf0189_170.jpg
    dscf0189_170.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 71
Thank you all for your help in setting up my first 2 aquariums. All info has been taken into consideration and used appropriately.

Attachments

• dscf0191_104.jpg
    dscf0191_104.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 63
  • dscf0193_376.jpg
    dscf0193_376.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 72
Between 1 and 2 feet is more likely rok, and the 50 will be suitable.
I'm thinking about setting the black shark with the oscars again. They did very well together for about 6 months.
check this: http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12102
and
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1953&articleid=2600

Blood parrot compatible w/ dwarf african cichlids? I got a feeling my parrot cichlidae is an african mut.

This black shark is awesome when one to a tank and when under the correct water conditions. Dark soil and caves/rocks etc are good with proper balance of plants. Maybe smaller red-tips>af cichs for this particular tank?

I don't really get why you want me to check those links? Fishbase is very reliable for fish size and scientific names. 90 cm is just about 3 feet. It might be more likely that it'll only get to 2 feet long but that's still too big for a 50g. What is the width on that tank anyway?

dimensions on the 50 are 36"Lx16"W(@bow)x18"H

That's a different species of fish than the one I have. Granted the particular shark on the fishbase page is female it looks far off from the fish I have-- isn't that clear in the picture?

How do you feel about the 29g? My 2 clown loaches have just lit up in color since I got them from the LFS a few months ago. Still small but I'm feeding frequently in high protein amounts. Bloodworms are their daily favorite and inhibit a very active clown loach duo. Three african cichlids or four dwarf ones ought to work out well.

Attachments

• dscf0209_824.jpg
    dscf0209_824.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 58
Clown loaches are schooling fish, 3 is the minimun number that should be kept, more is better. They grow slowly, but if properly cared for, will go over 12".

Schooling fish when younger, true, however when they get older they prefer to be more solitary yeah? When I first got clown loaches several months ago they went into the 30g community tank which is planted well and has almost no hiding spaces, so they did not do well there at all. This goes to show how important research and knowing the species of fish are.

Thanks for the advice toddnbecka. Going to check out a few LFS's for some bright and plump ones to add to the collection now that the water quality is really coming together.

(the following afternoon) found a nice healthy one and dropped em with the jewel cichlids... they all so tiny right now but eat rabidly

RoK said:
I really think you should part with the black shark or get a much bigger tank for him. .

RoK I highly appreciate your feedback and do not mean to question or disrespect your advice. I've read that a black shark and oscars do very well together, and so they have. Also, these fish occupy different quarters of the aquarium. In regard to feeding the oscars take hikari cichlid pellets and cichlid sticks by tetramedley (i think is the brand). These keep them from turning the tank into a swamp and still enable enough food escaping them to turn edible portions over to tankmates. I supplement with shrimp pellets and brine shrimp works good cuz its like they just swirl it around for the surrounding organisms.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback. Stay tuned for updated aquatic pics along with water test conditions.

Added 2 Convict cichlids less than an inch long to the 29g. They are doing well with the BP, maybe cause they look alike... 3 jewels 3 clown loaches 2 dojo and 1 syno eupterus.
My question is--- how can I get my fish to use more of the top half of the tank? The convicts and jewels are starting to fill it out. I've added a floating live plant so there's more shade from the light. The heater doesn't hardly turn on anymore cuz its so warm here in my room and the thermometer is steady at 78 degrees. Supposidly dojo loaches like colder water for they're from the muddy rivers and lakes of germany (the particular ones that i have anyway) so I'm trying to keep it a modest tropical cichlid tank. My parents are disappointed cause my fish aren't blue electrocs and yellow johanni's or watever they're called. Those particular cichlids grow btwn 2-4 inches larger than the jewels and convicts i've gone with. The BP is the pig of the bunch and finds his way to all the high protein meals and the dojo's are growing from cleaning after him. They may be ready for the 50 soon.

THANK YOU!
any more comments on clown loach care? they're so delicate! why do you think they do so good with african cichlids and south american cichlids alike?

Clown loaches have bony spines under their eyes, sort of like switchblades, that are very effective for defense. Cichlids learn to leave them alone.

Yeah I'm very aware of that---
At one of the LFS's there were 5 clown loaches around 6" with african cichlids when they were younger, and now are with oscars. Their tank size is 30g. I'd rather get them young and raise em young which is what I'm doing. Just curious why my synodontis eupterus is so mysterious!.. most only comes out when the light is off [which is that way the majority of the day and night]

My blood parrot looks like a breed of the 2 convicts that i've had in my tank... I raise the question is the blood parrot a mix of convict and oscar?
There were 2 oscars earlier in the year in with the blood parrot which is clearly female, could they have done the trick? I've read that convicts like the jewels in the tank make great parents, so could I stock a pond nearby? I've got a 5.5g with an anole that's being adopted out with all accessories except tank for these purposes.

With the added jewel cichlids and convict cichlids it's like a boxing match with the blood parrot as the referree, which looks a lot better for some reason.

Blood parrot compatible w/ dwarf african cichlids?
somewhat adaptable-yes , compatible- not really

I got a feeling my parrot cichlidae is an african mut.

maybe you don't read your other posts?
hey mate,
The blood parrot is a hybrid species.
Just for the record chances of it being an american african mix are 0 to none.
Just research parrot cichlids on the web and it will tell you anything you need to know.
Post a pic anyway Always good to see someone elses fish

Matt.

Between 1 and 2 feet is more likely rok, and the 50 will be suitable.
a 2 foot fish in a 3 foot long tank? Your fish will develope a curved spine, the bioload will be to high eventuating in chemical poisoning, eventuating in death. This is if the fish does not die prematurely from not living in the best possible conditions.

Now,
your statements here and alot of others i have seen in different posts indicate you seem young and inexperienced especially in aquaria. I by no means am stating I know everything, but I think you need to start listening to what people have to say and I suggest you have a little bit more respect for people that most likely know alot more then you.
Either that, or I would suggest a different hobby / fascination where you can uptalk yourself a bit more without the risk of putting the lives and health of living creatures in your hands.

Matthew

I hope I am reading your post wrong but did you say you plan to stock a local pond with jewels. I wouldnt do that if I where you. There are alot of fish and plants that are illegal to sell because other people have released fish and plants into the wild irresponsible. Please dont put other hobbiest at risk of losing the abilty to keep certain fish. If they are breading to fast there is a trader forum I am sure someone will be intrested in them.

Apparently you've interpreted incorrectly. A local pond would better be stocked with goldfish that do well in cold water. I got 3 jewel cichlids 3 clown loaches and 2 convicts in the 29g along with a cleanup crew. I'm finding bamboo torn to shreds, someone's gettin their exercise!

Attachments

• dscf0245_171.jpg
    dscf0245_171.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 27
  • dscf0244_155.jpg
    dscf0244_155.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 22
  • dscf0244_180.jpg
    dscf0244_180.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 20
toddnbecka said:
Most catfish are nocturnal, though Syno's usually come out for food.

Is the synodontis eupterus a catfish or an african pleco? I'm leaning toward the ladder of the two. I have only seen this fish eat once in several weeks, is this grounds for concern?

Back
Top Bottom