Transporting Cichlids from Fish Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am working on getting a 55 gallon tank up and going for mbuna African Cichlids. The closest fish store to me that stocks a good selection of them is about a 1 hr and 15 minute drive depending on traffic. What I am wondering is, how would I go about transporting them from the fish store to my house. My main concern is water temperature I suppose?

Most fish stores have Styrofoam boxs that they get when they receive fish. You could ask the store to bag then put them in, if they have some and if its a concern for you. I drive a good bit around town to store to store with fish. Probably a good couple hours with no problems. So I wouldnt worry about it at less they aren't in good health when you get them.

Andrew McFadden said:
Most fish stores have Styrofoam boxs that they get when they receive fish. You could ask the store to bag then put them in, if they have some and if its a concern for you. I drive a good bit around town to store to store with fish. Probably a good couple hours with no problems. So I wouldnt worry about it at less they aren't in good health when you get them.

Ok so you don't think the water will cool off too much in that time?

Hey man first of all welcome to the Mbuna World. A lot of fish stores will tell u not to leave ur fish in the bag for more than a hour. This is primarily due to the stress they ensure by being n a new environment (i.e. the fish bag). They will survive longer but don't try to push ur luck. I have been n ur situation before and here's what I suggest. When u get ur fish make sure they only give u about 25% water and 75% oxygen n ur bag (depending on how many fish they put in one bag). Once n ur car cover bag with a shirt or something to keep it kinda cool and dark. This will help keep stress levels low. Strap in seatbelt to minimize shaking of bag and help stabilize. Once at ur house cut ur tank light off and float bag for about 10-15 mins. Then slowly net out fish. After about another 20-30 mins you should be good to turn light back on and feed if you want to. Me personally I only feed if there are more cichlids n my tank in addition to the ones I add (helps minimize aggression along with lowering heater temperature). Again these are only my suggestions and again welcome and congrats.

If I know I have a long drive I will lay the bag on the floor in front a vent blowing warm(ish) air on it.

Usually I don't have much a concern though. I've had fish bagged sitting in my truck for 8 hours without a problem.

Most stores get deliveries from hatcherys that are farther..

dpeco33 said:
Most stores get deliveries from hatcherys that are farther..

Yeah I know I just wasn't sure how they were shipped i.e. some sort of special container or something

The key you need to remember is to control the temp as best as possible. Fish deliveries in hot states like mine ( FL) are done with bags in sealed styrafoam boxes and the fish , depending on how many are in the bag, are good for at least 24 hours. In the summertime, an ice pack is put inside each box to prevent the water from getting too hot. In cold states like where I came from (NJ), in the winter time, we used heat packs inside the boxes if the truck was not heated.
I would suggest, if your store can not offer you a stryo box with a lid, bring along a store bought cooler (styro or plastic) and position the bag in the cooler so that it doesn't slosh around. If you are only using one bag and it's a bigger cooler, bring some towels or ask the store to make you some "air bags" to fill the spaces which also will keep the bag from sloshing. I've used this method repeatedly for customers who traveled 4- 6 hours as well as from other countries to buy fish from me. Works like a charm ;)
FYI: Fish are shipped around the world the same way and are packed and bagged to survive 24 hours and longer. A 2 hour car trip should be a piece of cake :D The temp. is the biggest concern so just remember to float your bag(s) for at least 15-20 minutes before acclimating your fish to your water.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Unless it is extremely cold where you are and you plan on not using the vehicle's heat for yourself they should be fine to travel for a couple hours as long as they are properly bagged. Acclimate well (as always), but there shouldn't be enough time for the water to significantly change temperature.

brandonv26 said:
I am working on getting a 55 gallon tank up and going for mbuna African Cichlids. The closest fish store to me that stocks a good selection of them is about a 1 hr and 15 minute drive depending on traffic. What I am wondering is, how would I go about transporting them from the fish store to my house. My main concern is water temperature I suppose?

Plus if I may add with Africans I always ask for them to be bagged separately.

I go to fish auctions all the time and the fish there are in bags for 8+ hours and they are fine. An hour and fifteen minutes isnt that bad, they should be fine.

Ok great! My main concern was the temperature since its getting later in the year and its a bit colder but looks like it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom