Treats for Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do you guy feed your cichlids for treats? I have a container of freeze dried blood worms I feed my tropical fish and was wondering if my cichlids would like it? What veggies do you guys give you cichlids?

All my tanks get NLS thera + a with garlic and a very small treat of frozen blood worms once every 2 weeks.

Twice a week I like to feed frozen food. One of the times with blood worms, the other with mysis shrimp.

I plan on adding in freeze-dried krill to try and hand-feed my cichlids in an attempt to get them more comfortable with my hands always being in the tank.

Personally I didn't use blood worms I used to use beef heart then I realized tht wast good either but my fish love unshelled peas and krill

Personally I didn't use blood worms I used to use beef heart then I realized tht wast good either but my fish love unshelled peas and krill

What's the concern with beef heart? Haven't tried it, but I didn't know it wasn't a good alternative. Thanks.

Beef heart is good for discus especially but this food has raised concerns as ppl began making their own mix. The problem with this is the heart is purchased from local butchers with the animal having been injected with steroids and growth hormones which can prove fatal to fish. It's also very important to ensure that the heart is cleaned THOROUGHLY ie no fat on it at all before being minced.
Good recipe for this:
Beefheart (from free range cattle)
Spinach (cooked and wilted)
Banana
Spiriulina Powder
Garlic

Mince heart, mix contents. Cube and freeze for later feeding.
I feed my discus a mix of this, bloodworm block or Mysis and then sprinkle in a little Tetra granules to let them bottom feed.
They grow very well, are healthy and eat directly from my hand. They are fed 3 times a day.
My juveniles grew from 3inches to 4 inches in 3 weeks.

Hope this helps

M

Guess it really depends on your cichlids mine are a good mix of herbs, omnis, and carns..

I feed organic blanched spinach, zucchine, unshelled peas

I also soak food in a garlic supplement

Back
Top Bottom