Tropheus Duboisi advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriniBrad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ive been looking around for what type of cichlid i would like to start keeping. Ive always loved Tropheus but i now live in Trinidad and i was unsure if i could find any here. but i did find Tropheus Duboisi however and i will be picking them up this comming friday :):). there about 1 inch long now. like a good father to be, ive been researching like mad trying to find out everything i can about my soon to be school when i came across this group. so i thought i would ask a few questions. before i get in to that i have a 50gal tank, 36"x18"x18", a 250gal per hour canister filter and a 110gal per hour power head. i have a lot of rocks and caves in there and i some crushed coral sand from a beach near here to help lower the PH its at 7.5 normally.

one of the main problems i have is that the temp in the tank is reading 28C and ive read that it should be 26C. how can i lower it, i cant help that its hot in Trinidad! lol.

ive read from some ppl that i need a lot of rocks and caves in the tank and ive also heard that i need a bare tank because this will help with aggression, what should i do for these little guys?

what color substrate will be best to bring out the color of the Tropheus Duboisi a black gravel or white? we have black sand beaches here so i can get either that or the white coral sand i have now.

i told the fishery that i will be taking 14 of the Duboisi. is that a good number to start off with in my tank?

i have a lot of bubbles in the tank now helping to airait it, do the Tropheus Duboisi like a lot of bubbles in the water? i know they like movement in the water.

i think thats all i have for now. i just want so badly to make sure that i do everything right for the lil guys. thanks alot in advance for all your help.

Bless, Brad.

Cut this and paste into google: Klaus Steinhaus Tropheus tank... He has some great information on them, and check google images as well for photos of his tanks. He seems to me to be the leading authority on Tropheus...

AFAIK, they do like some air-driven currents in there, Klaus has it being shown in use in several of the tanks on his website... I patterned my mbuna tank after one of his tanks. He does some really nice aquascapes.

A fan blowing across the surface of the water will cool it. It is hard to control how much though. It would definately be trial and error.

I keep Tropheus and Simochromis. I can tell you the temperature is fine as long as you have good flow-aeration in your tank. Make sure acclimate them. Take your time.

As for setting up the tank. I never had problems with lots of rocks or just 2 rock piles on either end.

Back
Top Bottom