Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Trying to find a friend for an oscar...

I have a friend who has had a 65 gal tank for about 10 years which has housed a few different groupings of oscars and a now venerable pleco. His oldest oscar (I think he said 8 years) recently died. He replaced it (with another oscar) and is now looking for a suitable tankmate(s). He enjoys how interactive oscars are, but would appreciate a change.

I am new to the hobby (it is transgressing into a lifestyle, my wife recently told me that I was talking about fish in my sleep) and have done nearly all my research online. I told him that I found a fantastic forum and should be able to find some answers for him. So, I would be greatful if anyone could give me some sound advise on oscar-tolerant fish to pass on to my friend.

Rob.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How big is the Oscar that he already has?? There are plenty of other Central/South American cichlids that will get along pretty well with Oscars. He might consider something like the Jack Dempsey (Cichlasoma (Nandopsis) octofasciatum), the Green Terror (Aequidens rivulatus), or the Firemouth Cichlid (Thorichthys meeki). All of those fish can take care of themselves if they're not too much smaller than your Oscar. Pike Cichlids (Crenicichla) will also make reasonably good tank-mates.

Smaller fish like most tetras, livebearers, etc. are simply going to make flashy and colorful meals for a big cichlid like an Oscar. Any catfish you put in should also be large enough to withstand the Oscar's attentions. Big 'plecostomus'-type cats would be good.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Convict cichlids will also work, assuming you don't put a small one in with really large oscars
Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep in mind oscars are the wimps of the cichlid world. Yep. Wimps. They are one of the only large cichlids which don't have teeth in the front of their mouths (you gettin this madasa and Brian? *grin*), only pharygeal teeth, so they cannot protect themselves by biting. Their only form of defense is the body slam. And they are not as aggressive to other cichlids as folks think; its more against other oscars.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ally is quite correct. Oscars aren't the big scary dogs of FW. More like the ugly but cute little mug puppy dog. Its so funny when the nibble on your fingers. :P
Old 02-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I have 2 Oscars, a Jack Dempsey, a Red-tailed Green Terror (kind of albino, very cool!), a convict and a Jewel. They're all cool, but forced to choose a tank mate for an oscar I would pick a Dempsey or a Terror. They're interactive and a lot of fun!

Just make sure they won't fit in Oscar's mouth...
Old 02-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oscars are also known to adopt any number of fish. There's tons of stories of the 'feeder that got away' that the Oscar 'adopted' and protected in the future, and would get upset if the survivor feeder was removed. I heard one story of an oscar that had adopted an entire school cories, and went berserk when they were removed to the point the owner put them back.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

so...cute...
Old 02-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best tankmates for an oscar are fish which they don't view as a territorial threat (how's that Alli ?). They should be large enough and fast enough to fend for themselves, but not so aggressive as to do harm to the oscar. Tin foil barbs, and some shark species for example.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I don't mean to hijack this thread - but will 3-5 Bala Sharks get along with a pair of Oscars in a BIG tank?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you all... I will pass on the advise and information you supplied. I knew you would come through for me!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Raimeiken
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret
Oscars are also known to adopt any number of fish. There's tons of stories of the 'feeder that got away' that the Oscar 'adopted' and protected in the future, and would get upset if the survivor feeder was removed. I heard one story of an oscar that had adopted an entire school cories, and went berserk when they were removed to the point the owner put them back.
Nahh, i think that oscar was just waiting for the cories to fatten up so he can eat them :P
Old 02-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...ic.php?t=22673

CUTE!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Balas will get along with oscars just fine to my knowledge. They'll probably fight more amonst their selves than anything.

Tags
oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com