Turtles with Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just going to reply to Andrew in my other post, but didn't want to derail my own thread. Can turtles go with Cichlids? What are the concerns?

concern number 1 : the turtle eat the fish
concern number 2 : the fish beat up on the turtle ( is what happens to mine)
concern number 3 : you have to be really careful of bloat with the fish because of the turtle food.

it is not recommended, however I was warned about this from people of the site. as you can see I did it anyhow and he does fine with them. I figured aggression levels of both are about the same. my turtle hasn't even looked at the fish like he want to eat them and I keep a stinkpot musk turtle. I do at times however feel as I need to remove the turtle because he is scared to death of my Africans.

You can find my video of them here
http://www.youtube.com/user/mcfaddy212000/videos

Edit- forgot to tell you I keep mild aggressive except my bumble bees. I wouldn't keep a stinkpot with anything more aggressive my bees (mostly the male) beats up on it. If you do try it make sure you can re home it if needed. I also would like to add a stinkpot doesn't get very big and that's another reason why I figured it will be ok. Most Africans will get to big for them to fit into the turtles mouth. Other turtles that get much bigger may be a threat to the fish I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine had a small red eared slider with 2 large red zebras in a 55 gallon tank.. Zero problems for years, BUT the catch is turtles are
Really dirty and my friend had to do water changes daily with a large canister filter, and 2 marineland emperor 400's. And plenty of airation and waterflow as well... It was a a big job but it looked pretty sweet

Andrew McFadden said:
concern number 1 : the turtle eat the fish
concern number 2 : the fish beat up on the turtle ( is what happens to mine)
concern number 3 : you have to be really careful of bloat with the fish because of the turtle food.

it is not recommended, however I was warned about this from people of the site. as you can see I did it anyhow and he does fine with them. I figured aggression levels of both are about the same. my turtle hasn't even looked at the fish like he want to eat them and I keep a stinkpot musk turtle. I do at times however feel as I need to remove the turtle because he is scared to death of my Africans.

You can find my video of them here
http://www.youtube.com/user/mcfaddy212000/videos

Edit- forgot to tell you I keep mild aggressive except my bumble bees. I wouldn't keep a stinkpot with anything more aggressive my bees (mostly the male) beats up on it. If you do try it make sure you can re home it if needed. I also would like to add a stinkpot doesn't get very big and that's another reason why I figured it will be ok. Most Africans will get to big for them to fit into the turtles mouth. Other turtles that get much bigger may be a threat to the fish I wouldn't know.

The bloat thing is definately something to look out for! A way to solve that is to feed the turtles in a separate tank or tub then feed fish. Also Andrew what was a good way to get rid of the belly bloat of the fish? My TBs are recently bloated due to me being out of town and my turtle sitter feeding in the same tank as the fish. I hear good things about peas?

jkdubs2 said:
The bloat thing is definately something to look out for! A way to solve that is to feed the turtles in a separate tank or tub then feed fish. Also Andrew what was a good way to get rid of the belly bloat of the fish? My TBs are recently bloated due to me being out of town and my turtle sitter feeding in the same tank as the fish. I hear good things about peas?

When I start to notice I cut back on food or I don't feed at all and start feeding peas till they look better. I think I've finally got the hang of it now so I haven't had the problem in a long while.

Jacobsal91 said:
A buddy of mine had a small red eared slider with 2 large red zebras in a 55 gallon tank.. Zero problems for years, BUT the catch is turtles are
Really dirty and my friend had to do water changes daily with a large canister filter, and 2 marineland emperor 400's. And plenty of airation and waterflow as well... It was a a big job but it looked pretty sweet

Maybe true in a small tank because I don't have that problem or maybe its because I have a different type of turtle.

I used to keep a male Texas Map Turtle with some fish and he ate them all. I got a Texas Map because the males are among the smallest turtles (compared to Red Eared Sliders) growing only to about 4"; a little smaller than a Common Musk Turtle. I wouldn't get a Map turtle because they are too fast and will catch your fish. Watch for dimorphism in turtles; males and females are of different sizes. Musk Turtles are regionally dimorphic as well.

I keep him alone now.

Andrew McFadden said:
When I start to notice I cut back on food or I don't feed at all and start feeding peas till they look better. I think I've finally got the hang of it now so I haven't had the problem in a long while.

Ok thanks it's the first time I have had the problem bc I normally feed separately

Back
Top Bottom