Two Convict with African +Pleco ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I have one Yellow Lab (approx 2-2.5in) and one Albino (same) in a 50 gallon tank that I'm starting to stock.

I came across a giveaway and took advantage without doing much research and ran into a couple possible issues :ermm:.. First I got 2 Convict Cichlids (approx 5in). They came from pretty bad water conditions so I'm thinking they'll actually prefer being here, I'm just worried they won't get along with the African ones. I also plan on getting maybe 6-8 more cichlids for the tank.

I also got a Pleco(approx 6in). I attached a picture and I need to know what type it is and if it's going to overgrow my tank soon and need to be relocated. The guy I got it from said he got it from Petsmart and the guy there said it would be good in his tank which is 30 gallons.

pleco.jpg

That is a common pleco and will outgrow your tank eventually they can grow to 24" but they are slow growers. They are poop machines as your picture shows.

The mixing new world cichlid and african cichlids is a war that is often fought on all forums. I am of the school of thought that it can be done as long as you research the species and they are of like requirements. Others say it can't and shouldn't be done ever.

I have had Yellow labs but not convicts what I have read about convicts is they breed like crazy and can be quite aggressive when breeding so you might have a problem on your hands. Yellow labs are one of the less aggressive mbuna convicts are more aggressive. So I would suggest pic your favorite and rehome the others then build your stock list around the specifications of the one type you selected.

I'm with rivers. I have mixed SA and africans in my cichlid tank and not once had any problems. Just need to watch them and have places where each can set up territory. Always be ready to separate and rehome though if problems come up.

That is a common pleco and will outgrow your tank eventually they can grow to 24" but they are slow growers. They are poop machines as your picture shows.

The mixing new world cichlid and african cichlids is a war that is often fought on all forums. I am of the school of thought that it can be done as long as you research the species and they are of like requirements. Others say it can't and shouldn't be done ever.

I have had Yellow labs but not convicts what I have read about convicts is they breed like crazy and can be quite aggressive when breeding so you might have a problem on your hands. Yellow labs are one of the less aggressive mbuna convicts are more aggressive. So I would suggest pic your favorite and rehome the others then build your stock list around the specifications of the one type you selected.

Haha yeah I realized that.. I woke up this morning with his poop all over the tank LOL

So how long do you think I have till he's too big? At what approx size should I start looking to rehome him?

And okay, thank you both for the cichlid advice. I'll keep them both in there and keep adding Africans as planned. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them and make sure there's no problems. As of now they seem cool, swimming by each other and no one seems bothered :)

Be careful as labs are known to be picked on heavily by the pugnacious in your face convicts... Though you won't really have to worry about live food feeding your Africans if you have a breeding pair of cichlids, lol, I just got rid of a pair of golden cons who bred faster than anything I have ever seen... Since you're adding Africans I think you should be okay once they are overcrowded (cons tend to like their own territories, rather large territories for such small monsters) a fully stocked African tank would be enough to keep them on their toes a bit- that and moving your decorations around once a month or so should stop any territory wars from injuring your stock.

Haha yeah I realized that.. I woke up this morning with his poop all over the tank LOL

So how long do you think I have till he's too big? At what approx size should I start looking to rehome him?

And okay, thank you both for the cichlid advice. I'll keep them both in there and keep adding Africans as planned. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them and make sure there's no problems. As of now they seem cool, swimming by each other and no one seems bothered :)

You have a while they take years to grow large. I have had one in a 75 gallon for about 4 years now and he is about 8 inches.

Your convicts may be fine until they start breeding then keep a careful eye on the tank.

Labs and convicts shouldnt be kept together. Its an unfair stressful life for your africans and will more than likely result in deaths, like someones already mentioned especially when breeding.

The fact that the convicts are already 5inchs in size your 2inch labs will be easy targets. Adding small convicts with adult labs would be a better situation but not by much.

Also 50 gallons isnt big enough for labs let alone with another large more aggressive cichlid like convicts there just isnt enough room. All your labs crammed into one corner of the tank and as soon as the wonder theyll be smashed back into a corner. As for moving the decor every month, this can work both ways and can actually create more aggression depending on your fish because once territory is established it can sometimes run smoothly where as they would be fighting for new territory every month.

50gallons, what is the foot print?

Last edited:
Labs and convicts shouldnt be kept together. Its an unfair stressful life for your africans and will more than likely result in deaths, like someones already mentioned especially when breeding.

The fact that the convicts are already 5inchs in size your 2inch labs will be easy targets. Adding small convicts with adult labs would be a better situation but not by much.

Also 50 gallons isnt big enough for labs let alone with another large more aggressive cichlid like convicts there just isnt enough room. All your labs crammed into one corner of the tank and as soon as the wonder theyll be smashed back into a corner. As for moving the decor every month, this can work both ways and can actually create more aggression depending on your fish.

50gallons, what is the foot print?

Hm, well as of now they all seem to be doing fine. The convicts see the lab and just kind of ignore him. If any problems do come up I'll try to get the convicts moved.

Forgive my ignorance but, what's a footprint in an aquarium?

Hm, well as of now they all seem to be doing fine. The convicts see the lab and just kind of ignore him. If any problems do come up I'll try to get the convicts moved.

Forgive my ignorance but, what's a footprint in an aquarium?

Well if theyre ignoring them at the moment thats good news, lets hope it stays the same as the labs grow and become mature. Wish you luck with it.

Foot print is length x width.

Well if theyre ignoring them at the moment thats good news, lets hope it stays the same as the labs grow and become mature. Wish you luck with it.

Foot print is length x width.

Yeah, I'll also keep an eye out if anyone wants Convicts I'll get rid of them but no rush right now..
The tank is 4ft x 1ft

In my experience convicts were killed in my mbuna tank and they were a breeding pair well one of them didn't make it the other I rehomed

Its good that its a 4footer . When you said 50g i assumed 3ft, that extra 1ft will make all the difference.

Some africans will become bullies in groups surrounded by their piers but labs will definitely be subdominant to convicts.

Last edited:
True labs can be push overs but some can be aggressive they are mbuna

True labs can be push overs but some can be aggressive they are mbuna

Yes indeed they can be aggressive in their own right as theyre still cichlids. But they seem more tolerant and seem to chase rather than bite, they lack the ruthless aggression some have. After rusties theyre one of the more dosile mbuna.

Haha yeah I've noticed the Lab is kind of soft, he even runs from the Albino which is a couple cm smaller lol the Albino actually seems to be growing into the bully of the tank, weird because he's the smallest aha

I'll be getting somewhere around 6-8 more assorted Africans in the near future so hopefully that helps balance out the shyness/aggressiveness..

Managed to get a couple pics of them, Lab is hiding from me :( haha

Attachments

• 2013-12-10 17.37.36.jpg
    2013-12-10 17.37.36.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2013-12-10 17.37.23.jpg
    2013-12-10 17.37.23.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 66
That convict looks like a beef cake, hes huge :D yeah anything out of the ordinary, line bread or hybrids are generally more aggressive than their natural counter parts.

That is one good looking lunker of a con!!! His fins are beautiful!!! As was mentioned, redecorating to avoid conflicting territories only really works if your cichlids don't have time to establish territories or rivalries, especially when introducing new livestock. I have a 9 foot long 150g with mixed sa/ ca bullies. One good thing about them is that most become more docile and tolerant of other tank mates with time.... I said most, not all. Watch out on your second week of them being together, I've found that is the time that their true colors as piscavores show up in adult/ sub adult NW cichlids

Back
Top Bottom