Uh oh.... First trouble in paradise....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzzh8c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi out there,

I set up my 110 cichlid tank late last year with about 40 small ones.
Things have been going great for 4 months. Everybody's eating, pooping well, growing. Most everyone was about 1.5" when they went in, now they're all 2.5-3.5" When I feed them it's a frenzy.

I added a 2nd small pleco recently and he ended up either dying or getting killed, but there was only a head and a backbone found in the morning. I did a 30% water change and added some cichlid salt.

Next day the fish seemed very listless. Feeding time was met with only a few coming up to the surface. Everyone else seem uninterested. Two parrot fish were at strange angles in the plastic plants but breathing fine and swam away when approached closely.

This morning was the same. Nearly all the fish seem lazy. No white spots that I see. Tank temp is 81. Is my tank "crashing" as I've heard it described? I'll do water tests when I get home from work, but what advice is there for what to do if that all comes back clean?

Todd

Whenever a tank has a problem I'd always do a few water changes for a few reasons.
1. They're fast
2. They're effective and can fix most issues with any tank.
3. They are a great cheap way that you can't hurt your fish with.
~Zac

2 dead out of 40, others still seem out of it...

Yep, did 50% water change the first day things seemed out of sorts. Put extra Seachem prime in. I think it may be a bacterial infection and I'm treating it now with Melafix (just on day 2). And I've cranked the temp up a bit (82).

Other ideas?

Minot positive but if it is bacterial, wouldn't raising the temp most likely increase the reproduction rate of that said bacteria?

Back
Top Bottom