Unexpected Discus sighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the Tulsa Zoo today, inside the Amazon Rain Forest building, checking out the split level, approx. 8,000 gal. + tropical lagoon tank.
I noticed the usual XL Anaconda and small Caiman, lying on the fake creek bank. Looking in the pool I saw the same old small groups of Severum, a few Convicts, lots of unknown type fry, and an unexpected, enormous high fin turquois Discus. I did a double take at the Discus, and took a cell phone pic.
Evidently someone recently donated the Discus to the zoo. The Discus looked to be in good shape other than a small virus growth or injury on his upper right side. He was quite tame and swam up to the glass ready to eat. The Discus was at least 8" from top to bottom. I only saw one discus.
I'm fairly certain the water is plain Tulsa area tap, hard with a PH between 8-8.2. The building temp. was somewhere in the low eighties. Lot of driftwood / Tannins.
Relatively speaking, there aren't that many fish in the huge lagoon, and I believe the survival rate is surprisingly high. The kids and I are zoo regulars, we see the same fish every visit.
I guess Discus are tougher than I thought. This one will have to be.

Attachments

• 20180523_154133.jpg
    20180523_154133.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 103
Ewwwwwwww dudeeee. I think discus pimples are a thing but that's something...

Yea, I was in total disbelief. When the topic of Discus friendly tankmates come up, Caiman and giant snakes usually don't make the cut. Who knows, he might make it.

Body shape and color that is a nice healthy discus !
He looks huge !
The viral thing ?
They do come and go with some fish...

That bump looks like Lymphocystis. Probably a little stressed out. He's got a huge lagoon to swim in with no predatory fish to avoid. I'm pretty sure the keepers make sure the big snake and little caimans are well fed. No need for them to work for a fish dinner. Hope he makes it.

I took the kids to the zoo today and noticed that the Discus fish was MIA. I guess the anaconda got him.
On a brighter note I took pics of gigantic Bosemani Rainbow fish swimming in an Austrailian themed tank for AA Rainbow Fish fans. Some of the Rainbows were between six and seven inches.

Attachments

• 20180724_145406.jpg
    20180724_145406.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180724_144223.jpg
    20180724_144223.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom